Snowblower Problem Question ?

So does my brand new 6 horse Yamaha

it

my

ne going full bore, you're gonna get hurt.

owers with the toe of your boot.

I just called the dealer where I bought my Arien's Sno-Tek. He said that once you get above the 7HP range and units in the Arien's Deluxe quality range, you start seeing machines with throttle controls. Not all of the bigger machines have throttle controls, but they are available.
Hard to say which pin-shearing "homeowner-grade snowblowers" boot-guy is talking about, but regardless, I'm not sticking any body part, clothed or unclothed, into a moving auger. In fact, I'm not purposely sticking *anything* into a moving auger, especiallly not to prove a point.
On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 09:12:48 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

Except a big pile of cold white stuff
On Feb 12, 12:38 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

fter

es it

of my

ngine going full bore, you're gonna get hurt.

wblowers with the toe of your boot.

st

ng

I don't stick the cold white stuff into the auger, I stick the auger into the cold white stuff.
That's what all the videos on the internet show, so it must be right.

ter

s it

f my

gine going full bore, you're gonna get hurt.

blowers with the toe of your boot.

Well, I _did_ shove the auger into a re-bar stake holding the garage door. Turned that half of the auger into a pretzel and did not shear the pin.
Harry K

And it had the proper shear pin installed? and the auger was not siezed to the shaft??? I hit a frozen wrapped newspaper with my old canadiana 5/26 and took out a shear pin., and I could blow the frozen snow plough ridges without breaking shear pins.
I like the shear pins on my new Yamaha - they are 1/4"X1/2" bolts that fasten a tab on the shaft to a tab on the auger. Real easy to change
On Feb 13, 12:28 am, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

after

sses it

t of my

e.

engine going full bore, you're gonna get hurt.

nowblowers with the toe of your boot.

Most

oing

e quoted text -

I had the same thing happen with my Sears. It never ocurred to me that the newspaper delivery came after some snow was already falling. It got buried and took out the shear bolt.
On Feb 12, 9:28 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

after

sses it

t of my

e.

engine going full bore, you're gonna get hurt.

nowblowers with the toe of your boot.

Most

oing

Dunno what was in there. That was a basket case that I rescued.

Now _that_ makes a lot of sense! That shear pin behind the impellor is almost impossibel to get a drift punch on to reove the remains (mine was a rusted off roll pin). I bought a new and much bigger blower when that happened rather than the fight it would take to get at the thing...and I wanted a nic toy anyow :)
Harry K

Likely a grade 5 (or even 8) bolt!!

The worst I ever did was suck up a vinyl coated steel dog cable. As soon as I saw it pulled up out of the snow I released the auger lever.
The cable tangled itself up in the auger but I was able to thread through in the reverse direction to get it out.
The cable was attached to a tie down so I was lucky I stopped the auger before the cable got really taut.
On Tuesday, February 12, 2013 10:54:22 PM UTC-6, Harry K wrote:

Seriously, rebar holding the garage door? WTF!
The guy I used to work with did that to the facility's blower auger...he ordered a new set and told me to repair it! I have his job now.

ordered a new set and told me to repair it! I have his job now.
Was a double door slider, stake driven in at the midpoint to keep the doors against the building. Of course it was driven in at a bit of an angle.
Harry K
In article

Gee, has no one on this group heard of a mirror?
--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH

I've heard of a mirror. In fact, I brought it up about 35 posts ago.

Yeah, but the last time I brought the snowblower into the bedroom to use it, my wife got really pissed.
Should have used it in the bathroom to throw TP?

Yeah, but the last time I brought the snowblower into the bedroom to use it, my wife got really pissed.
On Sunday, February 24, 2013 7:23:32 AM UTC-6, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Or Mormon diapers?

Won't show a thing if that impellor isn't under load. Friction will have it moving.
Harry K
On Feb 11, 4:44 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

oing full bore, you're gonna get hurt.
Perhaps it's time to review what you wrote:
" and if it's running full-bore, it will shear a pin long before your assistant gets hurt. "
Which of course is nuts. You don't have to shove your whole arm in to get seriously injured. But you would have to have a significant portion of some part of your body in the machine to cause a shear pin to break. Small branches, for example, routinely get snapped and spit out without breaking the pin. Is say a wrist that much tougher that it's going to shear the pin without injury? And by the time the shear pin did break, I'd say the odds are you would already be seriously injured. The shear pin is there to save the machine from damage if it picks up something solid that jams the mechanism. Yeah, it MIGHT prevent a total amputation and turn it into just a serious injury, but it sure isn't going to prevent you from getting seriously hurt. The serious accident stats cited prove that.

s with the toe of your boot.
On Feb 11, 8:41 am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

ormal person has enough reach to be able to lean around and look in the fro nt. chute and see the impeller.
That wouild be one looonnnggg stretch for a normal person. An Orangutan micht beable to do it. Added to that, it wouild accomplish nothing as, unless it has snow on it, it will turn normally just from the friction. Needs a load before it stops turning.

Same problem, it it isn't trying to blow snow you would see it turning.
<snip weak attempt at humor>
Harry K