Old gasoline

I have a couple of gallons of old gasoline, probably at least a year old. I suppose I could dispose of it properly, but I was wondering of it could be "revived" somehow or used instead?

Reply to
FDR

if the container was tight and there's no 2 cycle oil in it, the gas may be in better condition than you might think. as long as it's clean (no water, etc in the bottom) you can probably use it. test a little of it in a lawnmower or whatever, and i think you'll find that it is usable.

bill

Reply to
rider89

Cant be revived. Its gone bad. If anything you can mix it with fresh gas and run it on lawnmowers snowblowers etc. (would put it into a car, might damage things)

Might not run the best but sometimes it better than dumping.

Otherwise you can use it to kill weeds grass etc along the fence.

Tom

Reply to
BocesLib

I put a gallon at a time in my car's nearly full tank. Hasn't hurt it yet.

Reply to
Toller

I found that adding old gasoline to my Farmall Cub tractor caused severe valve sticking. I recently talked to someone removing heads from an air cooled VW who had done the same thing. It is highly variable, you may very well be able to mix it with fresh fuel and burn it without trouble. Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

You will get all sorts of answers, possibly because of varying conditions but often due to blind prejudice. First 1 year old is not a problem, 2 years old means be careful, 3 years old means be really careful and the best advice is to dump it. If the container is full or nearly, if it wasn't subject to high or warm temperatures for the entire period the gas will be in much better condition that stored in a 1/2 full can and at higher temperatures.

If it really is about 1 year old just added a gallon of it at a time to 18 or more gallons of gas in any vehicle.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Retired Navy guy here. When we went on those 6 or more extended tours on a ship, I put my car in storage. I learned the hard way, the gas don't keep that long.

2 things happen. Water forms in the tank from hot/cold cycles from the weather, and the gas breaks down at the chemical level. The car may or may not start upon my arrival home from a 6 or more month tour. If it did run, it ran roughly. Putting "dry gas" additive in the tank helps before storing gasoline that long, but its not perfect still at the end of the time period. Filling the tank reduces the air in the tank, and any corresponding water intrusion as a result. Gas stations that don't do much business should be avoided as these are most likely to have water in their storage tanks. Gasoline will, after stored extensively, turn into a very sloppy, very loose gelatenous mass that no internal combustion engine should ever see, diluted in "good" gas or not.

Other than killing weeds on the fenceline, there's another garden use. If your tomatoes/potato crop location has that contagion that requires at least two years of non-growth to allow the contagion to run its course, then pour the gas in the area. 2 years later, and alls good irregardless.

Reply to
Jim

George has it right. My suggestion is to add a little at a time to your car's gas tank. Only do this with a nearly full tank in the car. No more than a gallon at a time, I would use less. Diluted like this will be safe for your car.

Today's gas is better than that of years ago so it will last longer before going bad, which it does just a little at a time.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

garden use. If

requires at least

course, then pour

irregardless.

If you'd eat vegetables grown where gasoline was dumped, MBTE and all, you are a far more "trusting" man than I.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Interesting - we've had Farmall Cubs in the family for years and I've thrown all kinds of gas in them in the past. But as I've gotten older and less inclined to drain tanks & clean carburetors I've been more careful recently. Just had to drain water out of mine (condensation) from being outside covered with a tarp. I have a Massey Pony with a "sticky valve" and it's power is greatly reduced. The only time I've had a Cub with power reduced that much is when a plug was fouled.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Only two gallons of just one year old gas? Dump it into your car's gas tank and get new gas for the mower. The gas is not that old in the first place and there's not enough of it to cause a problem to your auto in the second place. Please don't dump it on the ground or use it for weed killer, as this is environmentally damaging. In my state, it's illegal. People get caught and fined for doing it.

Reply to
Tom Miller

Exactly right!

Please -do not- dump fossil fuel on the ground, you can add that much to your car tank and never notice a difference in performance.....if you dump that much on the ground, you will kill everything in the soil that's close by -and- some fish in your nearest body of water.

Use it up first next year you bogart! :)

Reply to
Steveo

Add it to your truck next time.

Reply to
Steveo

One year old isn't a problem, but what could make it an issue is how the gasoline was stored.

Reply to
Joe Canuck

Why not dump in on the ground? Better yet--poor it down an old well. Gas and oil came from the ground. Put it back where it came from and be done with it.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Oscar_Lives wrote: ..>

If you are not a troll, then you are really ignorant.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I use that for cleaning parts in a pan, with gloves preferably- or use it to burn trash, etc. as an ignitor. Old gas makes an engine run terrible.

Reply to
UNIVERSAL MIND

Mix it up around 30/70 with motor oil, and use it to burn out tent catapillars, or buy one of those books from lindsaybks.com that shows you how to make a gasoline-powered blowtorch.

Reply to
Goedjn

Nah; that'll cause a bunch of bare spots. What you should do is mix it with your booze and drink it yourself.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

How about you make soup out of it and feed it to your family. Or salad dressing. It's harmless, right?

Reply to
Tom Miller