Sky lights.

Anyone have experience with sky lights. I'm thinking about getting 2 installed on a new cape cod. The roof line is steep so I would imagine this would be a benefit to water run off and helping in prohibiting leaks.(?)..
Where would I go to get them installed. Do lowes and HD do 'em or am I better off with a window place.
TIA CP
On May 25, 10:11 am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Charles Pisano) wrote:

I've got lots of experience installing skylights. There'll be two kinds available; self-flashing, and curb-mounted. The self-flashing ones are dependant on caulk-tar-goop(if they're any longer than one foot), but those Solatubes can be installed with no caulking/tarring, as they're so small. The other curb-mounted ones require stepflashing for each course of shingles that butt up alongside, and proper flashing above and below. I'd recommend the curb-mounts, and that you find a good roofer to install them. HTH. Tom
My bad. 'One' website I went to called the ones I like roof windows. But velux (I kinda like those) call them ALL sky lites. I like the VS model they have and I'd like to get one that opens up and is relativly large. 21" x 46 or 44x 46.. In that area.
Their cataloge recommends any roof over 60 pitch to use the deck mounted. I think mine might be over 60..About how much should it cost to install a 44x 46 let's say deck until I figure out the pitch..
I want one that opens up and has screening and a blind.
Thanks again.. CP
I think what I should have said was roof windows. I'm not interested in sky 'lights' per se...
CP
On May 25, 11:08 am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Charles Pisano) wrote:

So you're talking flush to the roof? Tom

I'd not trust HD or Lowes to install a new roll of TP let alone mess with my roof.
Duh.. Ok they really are called roof 'windows' by velux. .. But my roof might have too much pitch for a 'window'.. I would think MORE pitch would be better.
I guess I'm safe from lowes as they sell velux roof windows and sky lites but don't install them. HD did quite a few regular windows and doors for me in Fla., but I'd feel better with a roofer as you (guys) have been saying..
I'm going to approach the builder with a request for a quote. But he keeps busy. I don't anticipate any excitement on his part.
Ideally, I'd like to get them added on and rolled into my 10 year warranty (that is only 9 months along). But I think I'm dreaming even harder there as the building plans are probably filed with the warranty at time of closing.
Thanks CP
On May 25, 8:03 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Charles Pisano) wrote:

Velux is a fine product, or at least they were in the past. If you go with one that's wider than your roof trusses are spaced, the roofer should be a decent rough carpenter, too. Tom

I'm very happy with my Velux. Trade people have told me when it comes to skylights, Velux is the only way to go. I'd also recommend that you consider getting ones that will open electrically. Being able to open them for ventilation is great and I do it quite a bit in nice weather. But, IMO, if you decide to get ones that open, you want electric ones. If you get the manual ones, you'll wind up not opening them. Plus, the electric have a rain sensor and with the first couple of drops of rain, they close. Considering the total cost of the project, having electric opening ones is well worth it.
Would you still say go electric if it was on an easily accesable dormer of a cape cod?
Velux seems to have a good market share in the business and a good internet presence. Thanks for the input. Aprox. how much did it cost you when you had yours done. I'm looking at the roof windows they have 'if' my roof's slope is not too steep.
The 'window' itself is around 500. How BAD could the labor be..? Thanks CP