simple, but stupid

New kitchen, new sink. the strainer will stop water draining, but to allow water out, you have to lift it up and instead of the water draing thru the 'strainer' holes, it goes around the edges, defeating the purpose of the strainer. I tried adjusting the rubber seal and suceeded only in having it fall off. Considering how difficult it has been to dealo with Home Depot (as contractor) throughout this process, I shudder to ask them. I guess I need a strainer with a longer stem?
Add pictures here
✖
finding z0 wrote:

I'd replace the whole assembly and then return the old one as defective. It is obviously not working as designed and the mgfr. and retailer need to be aware that they're selling shite parts.
That said, I did the same work myself in my house not that long ago and bought a sink, strainer, and faucet from a local independent plumbing supply and the strainer assy. was *HEAVY* chrome plated brass and significantly more substantial feeling than anything I saw at That Orange-Colored Store Whose Name I Will Not Invoke. Also used an O-ring for a seal rather than a rubber stopper, which means that if I don't remodel the kitchen in time for this unit to stop sealing, repairing it will be a 10 minute job if I stop for a beer break in the middle and will probably cost less than $2 (adjusted for inflation.)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

If the opening around hte edges is the same or smaller than the strainer, it will still do the same job of preventing solids too large to pass.

Now you know why most of us here recommend NOT going to Home Depot.

I'd like a longer stem too.
Add pictures here
✖
On Apr 5, 1:07 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski"

I didn't get it until i read it to my wife. Be back in little while...thanks...
Add pictures here
✖

Is it that old fashioned kind where you pick up the middle handle/stem part and give the thing a quarter turn? I guess it lifts up the rubber ring for water to drain, yet doesn't create a gap for food to go down.
If I'm being as clear as mud it's because I haven't used that type in a really long time. That's how I remember they worked.
nancy
Add pictures here
✖

Yes. I tried turning it but nada.
Add pictures here
✖
finding z0 wrote:

earth, would water not drain through the holes????? Has it got shrink wrap or something on the basket? Try taking it back to the place where you purchased the sink to find out either how it should work or whether the basket got switched from a different sink.
Add pictures here
✖