Shower Wall Renovation

I have an old house in Vermont that needs has a shower in need of renovation. The shower walls currently have some sort of laminate (Formica?) sheeting installed over an old tile surface. The laminate is in bad shape and I would like to replace it with a sheeting material suited for use as a shower wall surround. I would prefer to avoid ripping out the old tile and rebuilding from studs-- more of a project than I want right now. Can anyone suggest a sheeting material that would be good for shower walls and is fairly easy to work with (there are no straight lines in this place and no 90 degree corners and I have a window in the shower)?

Reply to
Fred

I have the same set-up as this and it sucks. I used tile board to replace some tin stick on tiles and that was no good. Look for fiberglass panels. These you can cut to fit and overlay the stuff you have now.

They sell corner beads and panel connectors at the same place. fit the back panel first and then the sides. Make sure to leave the panels a little higher than the edge of the tub to prevent capillary action from sucking water under the panels.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

You can use a laminate type of material that looks like tiles which comes in large sheets but if your wall material is not flat and solid it won't last or look good, not to mention all the mold/mildew trapped in there is not healthy. I would not hesitate to rip out everything down to the studs and install new water resistant drywall or better yet, a waterproof composite wallboard.

Reply to
Martik

FRP.

Reply to