second floor dryer vent

I'm installing a dryer on the second floor and the only choice I have is to run the vent through the roof. My concern is that by squeezing the 4" rigid aluminum vent into the wall, I'm coming awfully close to wood and PVC. I'm wondering just how close I can come to either of these substances before it becomes a fire hazard. Or is the duct just not hot enough to be an issue? Any ideas on code for this? Thanks.
I don't know if you have considered this but how about running out the side?

<< I don't know if you have considered this but how about running out the side? >>
Absolutely, positively the best choice. The faster you get the damp air outside, the cheaper the dryer will be to run. All dyers should vent direct through an outside wall, if not for code for common sense. HTH
Joe
GerryC wrote:

Two notes:
1. They make an oval rigid vent pipe for in the wall use. You are wise not to consider anything other than rigid vent material.
2. Don't worry about the heat. Remember that the air going through the pipe just went through your dryer and if it was hot enough to cause a fire, your underwear would be a cinder long ago.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Thanks much. You raise a very good point about the skivvies!!! Erin go bragh...

Plugging up with lint causes fires not the metal touching wood or plastic. But look for the right size duct.... does not have to be round.

I would provide an easily reachable clean out at the botttom of the stack. Lint will build up in the vent stack. It will reduce dryer efficiency because it blocks air flow. Eventually it could cause a fire. This is based on direct experience in Navy, condo, and private home installations. An alternative is to use a dryer like Miele that doesn't need a vent.
Tom Baker
Thanks Art. That's just what I wanted to hear.