Sears, I'll miss the tools

Page 2 of 4
I was thinking a sentence which might be like "A cult is a group which has the following characteristics...."

Hare Krishna?
Or followers of the Comet Hale-Bopp?
"...in March 1997, the cult Heaven's Gate committed mass suicide with the intention of teleporting to a spaceship they believed was following the comet..."
I saw the comet as my wife drove across the Sierra Mountains west of Reno, but never converted.

Didn't those weenies self-castrate? Sometimes cults are good - they allow Darwinism to operate at group rates.
-- Bobby G.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Here you go:
World English Dictionary cult (k&#652;lt) [Click for IPA pronunciation guide] n 1.     a specific system of religious worship, esp with reference to its rites and deity 2.     a sect devoted to such a system 3.     a quasi-religious organization using devious psychological techniques to gain and control adherents
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_is_it_that_the_salvation_army_is_like_a_cult Answer:
The Salvation Army though a Christian denomination (not a cult) does appear to some as one due, to the military titles and military structure it holds to. This is culturally taboo recently considering militia groups etc, but essentially it has one leader like the Catholic Church, Anglican church etc. It also has a council that elects that leader like the Council of Cardinals in the Catholic Church, Anglican Church etc. So it does appear to be a cult due to the culture wars of late. During the 1800's when it was founded it caused the numbers of adherents and soldiers of the Salvation Army to explode due to its ease to understand, it clear lines of authority, its global evangelical mission and especially resonated within the culture of the UK.
Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_is_it_that_the_salvation_army_is_like_a_cult#ixzz1huKliYQf
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I don't care if they are considered a cult or not. They do more charitable work and help more people with less overhead than any other charity. 93% of each dollar goes to charity instead of the huge overhead and big salaries that others have.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I had occasion to observe both the Red Cross and the Salvation Army in action during a hurricane. The Red Cross bought the combined output of 11 bread bakeries and five dairies in Houston and persuaded the local Coca-Cola bottler to bottle hundreds of thousands of coke bottles with water (this was before designer water). They opened countless shelters - with cots and blankets and marshalled hundreds of Red Cross trucks for the area. In sum, the Red Cross dumped tens of millions of dollars into the recovery effort.
The Salvation Army, run almost exclusively by volunteers, had mobile wagons of coffee and donuts for the volunteer workers and distributed an amazing amount of clothing to the displaced.
The SA probably spent $50,000 on their efforts, probably because that's all they had.
In my judgement, the SA got a much bigger bang for their buck and the Red Cross helped more people.
Thanks for the field report. I like the bottles of water concept.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On 12/29/2011 6:12 AM, HeyBub wrote: ...

I've been involved in recovery efforts in quite a number of situations (altho most out here are tornado or other very severe t-storm-type events).
The various aid groups are coordinated at a high level and have different missions within the overall recover scheme. The Red Cross is, as said, dominant in widespread temporary housing and feeding and assisting triage; those efforts are capital-intensive. SA is secondary level with some overlap but as noted much of their direct on site aid is actually support for the other workers.
I'm specifically associated w/ the United Methodists; we are the "long-term last resort" organization that stays around for months or even a year for those who, for various reasons, don't qualify for FEMA, aren't insured, have other problems such as disabilities that prevent working much or any to do cleanup/repair themselves, etc., etc., etc., ... There's a lot going on behind the scenes in these events; the larger the disaster, the more actual organization required to keep the volunteers and organizations from simply hindering more than helping from stumbling all over each other. Those efforts do take more than simple volunteers alone can manage on the spot and the infrastructure to support the relief is, like anything else, a real cost. Just to remind folks there's a lot involved beyond the most obvious that everybody sees.
That's rather non cult description. No rich and revered leader in splendor, while the peons starve. Come to think of it. Would North Korea be considered a cult? Or Japan during the big war?
I don't care if they are considered a cult or not. They do more charitable work and help more people with less overhead than any other charity. 93% of each dollar goes to charity instead of the huge overhead and big salaries that others have.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Cult and religion are synonymous. All cults are religions and all religions are cults.

Ever see the movie "Miami Blues?" There's a great scene about dealing with the HK's in airports.
-- Bobby G.
On 12/29/2011 1:33 AM, Robert Green wrote:

yeah, there's a scene in AIRPLANE showing how to deal with them also.
--
Steve Barker

FWIW, here's why they really vanished from airports:
http://www.rickross.com/reference/krishna/krishna1.html
<<Hare Krishna airport solicitations curtailed USA Today/February 22, 1999
Washington -- The Supreme Court on Monday refused to let Hare Krishnas solicit donations or sell religious literature at Miami International Airport. The court rejected an appeal that argued such restrictions violate free-speech rights. >>
I must have been out of the country when that decision came down. I don't remember it all but even as a free speech advocate, I can't say I am sorry. They were really pains in the ass.
-- Bobby G.

I was once snowed in at Univ of Buffalo. I wasn't a student, jes someone trying to get back to CA and knew the UB student union bldg had a ride board and figured I could snag riders to help with gas costs. While camped in my car in the UB parking lot during the worst blizzard in yrs, and having little money, the campus HKs fed me. They asked for no money and didn't preach to me. Jes offered to feed me for free. The macrobiotic food pretty much sucked, but it was free and filling. HKs are OK in my book.
nb
--
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

A little ditty I learned a long, long time ago:
Salvation Army Band, Salvation Army Band, Put a nickel in the drum, Save another drunken bum!
-- Bobby G.
I'm going to miss the Craftsman line, too.
You might want to RE-READ the story!
"Sears, which has more than 4,000 full-line and specialty retail stores"...
"said yesterday that it will close 100 to 120 Sears and Kmart stores"
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2011/12/28/sears-kmart-to-shut-stores-as-sales-fall.html
Did the manager promptly try to sell you a MA (Maintenance Agreement) on the tools you left behind? That would be the Shears way.
They lost me in 1996 when I worked for them, for four weeks and two days.
rumor has it sears will go bankrupt soon, as the article describes they were borrowing money over christmas, normally a cash cow time of year.
sears lost me as a customer years ago. intrusive attempts to push credit cards at the registers without enough help to check out customers. long lines formed. i once left a bunch of expensive tools at a backed up register, and told a store manager here these are yours ..... i went to the nearby home depot and bought essentially the same tools for much less...... is sears a retailer or a credit card provider pick ONE
in fixing up my moms home for sale i had her sears furnace with air serviced. they charged 2 travel charges for the same tech to swap tool kits at his truck.
its ripoffs like this that drove me away from sears. they dropped the satisfaction guaranteed or your money back policy too.
sears where america no longer shops at.....
On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 10:52:08 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

Sears, where America no longer shops.
How about this. The spider crawled slowly the banister along . Sounds better now. : o )
joevan wrote the following:

Throw me down the stairs my hat.
--
Bill