Screw Extractor for tiny laptop screws?

the screws are probably recessed into the case so you could not get a Dremel disc on the head without cutting into the case.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

I've removed them (2mm screws) using a tiny left-handed drill bit. Go slowly. The bit will catch and back out the screw. HTH
Bob

Put away the car tools and use a very small pair of needle nose pliers. Grab along the outside of the screw in the millimeter gap between screw and case.

Possibly something here would help?
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=nmial5&s=4
Red Green wrote:

What? No explosives? You're no fun.
TDD

The only thing that tool mentioned in the URL would be good for would be to split a laptop in two pieces with a good smack from a hammer.

Fuckface is still at it? There is *nothing* more pathetic than argueing to somebody who can't hear you.
On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 19:36:09 -0500, AZ Nomad

He's making mincemeat of you, and nobody is rising to your defense. I think they are enjoying it.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote in wrote:

In these hard economic times, cheap entertainment is welcome :-)
On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 19:46:44 -0500, The Daring Dufas

She may not have a sense of humor. Ask her!
On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 04:00:55 -0400, Ron Hardin

If I understand you right two small Phillips head screws never moved. The heads just stripped. If that's the case:
Do the heads stick up enough to grab on to? If so use needle nosed Vise Grips. http://www.tylertool.com/vis6ln6needn.html?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=shopzilla
Or use a small dremel with a paper thin cut off wheel and put a screw driver slot in them. http://www.toolbarn.com/product/dremel/409 /

Additionally: Use the dremel cut off wheel to machine flats on the outside of the screw head. Then use the needle nosed Vise Grips.
You can also purchase left hand drills. Try to make the tip catch when drilling. http://www.mytoolstore.com/hanson/hanson.html
Ron Hardin wrote:

I don't know how badly you have torn up the head, but before resorting to heroics, if there is anything left try Screw Grab
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p2212&cat=3,41306,41329
with a good Phillips screwdriver. Two options are
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&pI733&cat=1,43411,43417 or http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&pE432&cat=1,43411,43417
If this doesn't work, or there isn't enough of a head recess left, drill into the screw with a jeweler's drill or a Dremel and a steady hand so that a micro extractor can be used. Note that the correct size drill bit is on the opposite end from the extractor.
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&cat=3,41306,41329,32272&p2272
Softening Locktite, if that has been used, is best done with a paint remover that is rich in methylene chloride. Methylene chloride will attack plastics with a vengeance so be very careful to not place it in contact with your laptop's case.
Good luck.
Boden
Boden

I'm looking at the same screws on my Dell laptop. They re big enough that I could, if need be, CUT a slot across the screw with a Dremel type tool and the finest/smallest disc/cutter and use a regular flat screwdriver to "undo"
vinny had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Re-Screw-Extractor-for-tiny-laptop-screws-335297-.htm : How about putting super glue on your screw driver and stick it to the screw until it bonds (maybe a few minutes). Try it maybe it will work.
------------------------------------- Rudy wrote:

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 317267 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
On 10/7/2008 10:01 PM vinny spake thus:

http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Re-Screw-Extractor-for-tiny-laptop-screws-335297-.htm
Nope, that's nothing but wishful thinking. Whatever bond there is will be broken instantly the moment you turn the screwdriver.
vinny had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Screw-Extractor-for-tiny-laptop-screws-335140-.htm : I think I already replied, not sure why it didn't show up.
Anyways did you try using super glue and and bond the screw drvier and the screw?
------------------------------------- Ron Hardin wrote:

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 317598 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

As Rocky said to Bullwinkle, "That trick never works!"
Ron Hardin wrote:

The Spin-it-out screw remover did the job (Amazon.com product link shortened)
One screw took a tiny touch of 1/16" drilling first, but the other didn't even need that.
It's built for #0 screws, is what was attracting about it.
Just put it in a regular multi-bit screwdriver handle and unscrew.
--
snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com

On the internet, nobody knows you\'re a jerk.

I was kinda hoping you would try some of my ideas that I posted.... 8-)
Oh,well.....
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik