satellite tv installation

I am having a new house built and my question is this: if I install an HD satellite TV system, can I put all of the receivers in the basement and wire the outputs to the TVs throughout the house. I would not like to have the receiver boxes (or rather, my wife doesn't) in the rooms with the TVs because they are too big and ugly. Thanks for the advice in advance.

It all depends...
The boxes typically contain the IR Receivers to change the channels (though some have external inputs).
Beachcomber
Beachcomber wrote:

There are plenty of systems to receive and relay those IR signals to equipment located in other rooms. It's entirely possible to locate receivers, DVRs, DVDs, etc. in a central media room. It's also often a better environment for the equipment since it can get better cooling, dust control, power conditioning, etc.
There are numerous home automation and home theater web sites with plenty of information and products.
Pete C.
You kinda need to have the receiver box with the TV that it serves. Others have mentioned that it is possible to do what you propose, but it would be a PITA.

I think you've got to determine whether the remote talks to the receiver optically (infrared) or by radio. Obviously, infrared doesn't go through walls. Radio does but there may be distance/obstruction limitations and you won't know if it will work until you try it.
HD wiring from the receiver to the TV set can be a big problem over long distances.
johnrf2 wrote:

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 16:19:56 GMT, Bennett Price

There are those IR/RF/IR "pyramids" that are supposed to solve that problem. I have found these highly unreliable, getting worse quickly the more complex your system becomes. I've seem some universal remotes with RF capability. These may work but are costly.

True.
I have seen a device advertised that uses CAT5 for this purpose, but it's about $300 per destination.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

There are ways to do this (and the receivers will work fine). The equipment necessary to distribute a HD signal will be expensive. Also, you'll need a way to get the remote controls to work. That'll cost more money too.
That may still be practical for SD, but is it for HD?
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
For secndary locations like bedroom SD TVs its fine if your willing to use coax feed, less quality.
for primary HD tv your much better off having it with the TV, for ease of cabling. there are limits to all connections.
ONE THING FOR ABSOLUTE CERTAIN GO ALL DVR. digital video recording, one is TIVO.
you record whart you want and watch it skipping thru commercials at YOUR time:)
you going with Dish or Direct TV?
I used to be a dish dealer satellite tv is awesome, if you want drop me a e mail snipped-for-privacy@aol.com
Most diush receiver have UHF remotes for ease of what your planning
If she's too big and ugly, maybe a newer model is in your future.