Wiring a new well pump

With the late model pumps, does the house voltage go to one side of the pressure switch and the well pump wires to the other side of the pressure switch?

Have the control boxes been eliminated?

Reply to
boehm05

I just had my pumped replaced a few months ago.

And, yes, there is no "control box." The starter switch is electronic and is sealed with the motor. The new pump is somewhat shorter than the 30 year old model it replaced. It also is water lubricated so that when it eventually fails it will not dump oil into the well.

Maybe it's me, but the new one seems to transmit a lot more noise up the pipe into the tank than did the old pump.

The wiring is as you describe. The pressure switch is two pole and switches both sides of the 240 volt circuit.

My pump was replaced on a Saturday on a near "emergency" basis. "Next time" I will look into a three phase motor with a "variable frequency" drive controller at top. This would cause the motor to start and stop slowly. I understand from "this old house" that you can use a VF drive to keep constant pressure (pump goes faster as demand increase, slower if only a slight demand), off if no demand.

Reply to
John Gilmer