Run away cars

Page 4 of 10

Bob F wrote:

Driving a car with manual shift has an advantage. In olden days we all had brakes w/o powe(vacuum) boost.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 9, 10:11 am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Jack) wrote:

According to some replies I have seen, the car WILL NOT shift into neutral, even though you put the shift lever there. The computer is programmed to leave the car in gear to prevent damage to the engine!!!
Essentially, the cars are death traps straight out of a Stephen King novel.
Why is there no mass hysteria over this?
Why do we not hear ANYTHING about shifting into neutral on the news?
Who the hell at Toyota allowed a car with an infinite death loop in the programming to get out to the public?
The computer thinks you want to go fast, and you're flooring the gas pedal. To protect itself, it won't let you shift out of drive. You can't shut the engine off either because there's no "accessory" position on the ignition switch anymore; it's either ON or LOCK.
These are the kinds of oversights a high-school level computer programmer would make.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 10, 10:08 am, snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

The "according to some people" are only those that are speculating. There have been abzero reliable cites to that.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 10:08:48 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

Not true of Toyota or any car I've ever driven -or worked on. The ONLY car in history that I am aware of that could NOT be shifted into neutral at speed was Packhard with Ultramatic transmission in the early-mid fifties.

If it was true - which id most definitely is NOT.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 10, 6:39 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Yeah, from everything I've heard so far, no one is saying that any of the Toyotas are built so that they can't be shifted into neutral while moving. I still think you need a full investigation that includes knowing how the particular transmissions are designed, what interlocks they have, looking at the actual remains of the cars, etc. But clearly in this latest incident, the guy is NOT claiming that he tried to put it in neutral, but couldn't.
On another note, there was an AP story today that says Toyota, like other manufacturers, has a black box type system built into the air bag system. In the event of air bag deployment it captures key data from a few seconds before the crash until a couple seconds after the crash. While the other manufacturers have been open about their system and make it known how to access it, Toyota has continually stone-walled anyone getting access to it. Even in court cases over the years, Toyota has responded to requests with sheets of data with most fields blank, etc. They have also given different accounts of what info the system actually captures. For example at one time they said it didn't capture braking info, then later did, etc. It appears the system does capture a lot of info though which could be useful in figuring out what is going on, like throttle position, brake, speed, acceleration, etc. The story also said that as of now, there is only one notebook PC in the US capable of accessing the information from the cars.
Add pictures here
✖

If people knew that a certain brand of automobile was spying on them, I'm sure many people would avoid that brand. I'm very distrustful of the GM OnStar system especially after the government has gotten its hands on GM. I know it's already being used to track certain owners. Certain governments don't want their diplomats driving such cars.
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 20:26:05 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

The law REQUIRES they can be put into neutral

I doubt THAT is true. Any forensic computer tech could get the data out of the box. Might not be able to make sense of it though--. It's likely encoded - but if an enterprising hacker WANTED to know badly enough, a couple days work would crack the code -guaranteed.
Add pictures here
✖
--WebTV-Mail-3821-6059 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
"According to some replies I have seen, the car WILL NOT shift into neutral, even though you put the shift lever there. The computer is programmed to leave the car in gear to prevent damage to the engine!!!"
This is what I was hopping someone could tell me. YOU CAN NOT PUT IT IN NEUTRAL!!!
You do not like the color of my print ... Don't read it.
--WebTV-Mail-3821-6059 Content-Description: signature Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Text/HTML; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
--WebTV-Mail-3821-6059--
Add pictures here
✖
Jack wrote:

Damn, he said he would not be back.
knock knock who's there? Orange. Orange who? Orange you glad I use black text!
Add pictures here
✖

And still ignoring the FACT that no one has cited anything showing they _cannot_ be shifted to reverse - only speculation.
I guess when you are stupid, it is easier to remain that way rather than trying to learn... at least it seems so in his case.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 10:22:10 -0800 (PST), Harry K

Only two things are infinite. The universe, and stupid.
Add pictures here
✖
You do not like the color of my print ... Don't read it.
Two comments: 1. Newsgroups are supposed to be plain text as it eliminates a lot of problems between news readers 2. You say "Don't read it" but in fact, many can't read it because of the light color. You may think it look snazzy, but it hurts the eyes of others.
OK, one ore comment. We come hear to learn and to help. If you want to be treaded special, it is not going to happen. You are very welcome to join the discussions and start new ones but to have a combative attitude you'll spoil your own fun. Learn how to do plain text on Web TV. It can be done.
Add pictures here
✖
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I suppose he could be reported to web TV for using other than plain text where it is not allowed, but it's much easier if the offender simply complies with the rules.
Add pictures here
✖
Tony wrote:

RULES?! WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING RULES!!
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Then again, since I only read plain text, I had no problem reading hisa text.
Add pictures here
✖
Jack wrote the following:

I don't know what the problem could be
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Get the year, make and VIN of the car that can NOT be shifted into neutral. I'd really like to know.
According to what I"VE found, it is a REQUIREMENT that they CAN be shifted into neutral. Law in both USA and Canada.
Looking for cite - but I know [problems with the old Packhard transmission brought the situation to light back in the fifties.
Add pictures here
✖

but many modern EFI motors have rev limiting programmed into the ECU. it cuts off the fuel flow at a preset RPM limit. You won't damage them that way.
still better to blow up a motor than to crash into a solid object at 100 MPH. you can always replace a motor.

good reason to drive stick shift. it's a really rare failure when you can't put in the clutch.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Happened on my '62 Corvair. Engine mount broke and slackened the clutch cable. I still managed to shift gears and drive the car home, just could not come to a stop. Yes, kiddies, it is possible to shift both up and down and not use the clutch. It is one of those things you have to practice, just like shifting into neutral in an emergency.
Add pictures here
✖
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

At a job with a brand new van, 3 on the floor, the clutch was a real SOB. It was so bad that my knee started giving me pain. I tested others and none of them were so difficult to disengage the clutch but the dealer and my boss denied anything was wrong. OK, so I used the clutch to stop and start only. From gear to gear did it without the clutch. After some time something happened to first gear. Couldn't get it into first until it came to a full stop, and then sometimes had to go to another gear and back to first. It ended up going into the tranny shop at least 5 times and they never could fix the problem. Everything looked good, synchronizers looked like new but they changed it anyway. Still never worked right... for the other employees that used the clutch anyway. For me I could still go from 2nd to 1st without the clutch.
Add pictures here
✖