Roundup: Should It Kill Poison Ivy?

Page 1 of 2
It's been about five days since I first sprayed some poison ivy with Roundup - with a touch up application yesterday.
I'm not seeing any signs of distress in the stuff.
OTOH, 3 days on crab grass and the stuff is clearly dead or on the way.
Bottom Line: Should Roundup be effective against poison ivy?
If so, what timeframe?
--
Pete Cresswell

It should be outlawed and all of Monsanto prosecuted for crimes against nature.
nb
On 07/28/2015 11:04 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Aren't there various varieties of "RoundUp" -- for different weeds?
We don't have poison ivy, but we have poison sumac, and a weedkiller specifically labeled as being for poison ivy, oak, sumac, etc. (don't recall the brand or name) leaves our poison sumac looking very ill after only a couple of hours.
Use the correct product for the job at hand.
Perce

I tried and tried and got no where with regular Roundup. I applied it directly on the leaves which showed some distress but the plant kept on growing.
So, I just checked Home Depot and found Roundup for Poison Ivy. and Ortho for Poison Ivy. I bought the Ortho brand. It's a little early to be sure, but I think it's working.
So, I can report regular Roundup doesn't work. I expect something Poison Ivy specific has a better chance.
--
Dan Espen

writes:

a combination of glyphosate and triclopyr is marketed for poison ivy
alt.home.repair:

I had rampant poison ivy in my yard when I bought the house. I physically pulled most of it out and treated the rest with a brush killer (it might have been a Roundup brand product.) I seem to recall trying regular Roundup but it wasn't very effective. The brush killer worked very quickly, like within a day.
P.S. - I haven't seen any more poison ivy back there for many years. However, I saw a couple of sprigs poking up this summer. I killed them, but it reminds me that the stuff may never totally go away.
On 7/28/2015 10:04 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Most retail versions of Roundup are too dilute to effectively control brushy and woody plants. You need a minimum 41% concentrate of Roundup to handle them, and that gets expensive. Another highly effective herbicide for woody plants including poison ivy is triclopyr. Read your labels and buy the strongest concentration you can find.
On 07/28/2015 10:04 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

If you got a 2% solution on the leaves and it was/is actively growing, glyphosate should work but by itself it isn't as effective as some other combinatorics...
<http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/pests/weeds/hgic2307.html
The guy talking about using concentrate is mostly wrong, btw...the concentrates are all intended to be diluted before use; the only part he got right is "read the label".

I've been using regular Roundup on poison ivy for years. In my yard and surrounding area (I like to keep a buffer zone) it works fine.
I mix mine from an old bottle of concentrate that's been in the shed since I got the house. I don't make it super strong, just the normal mix.
On Tuesday, July 28, 2015 at 12:38:55 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:

I don't know about 2%, I typically mix it at about 4% and it kills poison ivy. Since Pete is having a problem, I'd mix it at 4%+. If you read the directions, to kill tougher weeds, they call for higher concentrations, up to about 6% I think.
If you're using the stuff, you can get the ~48% concentrate for about $65 for a 2.5 gallon jug. That's orders of magnitude better than buying it pre-mixed or even the concentrate at HD, etc. That's for the generic glyphosate with a sticking additive included.
There are also brush killers that are more effective against that type of stuff too.

I have used regular Roundup and some generic roundup with an added chemical or two that work well. I think the wetting or sticking additive is important to the poison ivy. Without it the chemicals tend to run off the leaves. The chemicals are absorbed by the leaves mainly so spray them and not the ground around the plants.
YOu need to look at the concentration on the jug. Many of them are made to be deluted and often the lesser concentrations will cost more to make a given ammount of than the higher concentrations.

Get some Ortho Brush B Gone. That is basically homeowner grade Garlon and it will take out poison ivy
years ago i had a bad poision ivy problem, poision ivy killer just made it wilt for a few days, same with roundup, just wilted then it came back stronger than ever.
so at the suggestion of someonehere i mixed roundup 50 / 50withpoision ivy killer.
i amost felt bad for the poision ivy, they just rolled up and died, i felt like a mass murderer...
do note mixing breaks some federal law, but going to my doc for pision ivy is worse.
the chemicals are absorbed thru the leafs.
so dont trim or pull the plants just spray the leafs for max kill.
and DONT BURN THE DEAD BRUSH! you can get poision ivy in your lungs..
On 07/28/2015 08:04 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

My country friends use Crossbow for poison oak here in Western Oregon, I would imagine it would also work for poison ivy. Looking at the label it appears to be a mix of triclopyr and 2,4-D.
http://www.dowagro.com/en-us/usag/product-solution-finder/herbicides/crossbow
Jon

Roundup alone is not terribly effective on poison ivy because of the oiliness of the leaves. You need a good surfactant mixed with the roundup. Some people use a bit of dish soap in the mix - some a few tablespoons of diesel fuel. I know the diesel fuel works. Generally knocks it back pretty good in about 3 or 4 days.

roundup mixed 50 / 50 with poision ivy killer, it will be dying by the next morning, its amazingly effective
On Tuesday, July 28, 2015 at 9:06:41 PM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:

xt morning, its amazingly effective
I haven't tried that mix, but, do you really want it dying by next morning? If it's really toxic it kills the leaves before it gets into the system. I want it absorbed by the leaves, and spread to kill the whole plant, and usually that takes a bit more time.
On Wednesday, July 29, 2015 at 8:21:29 AM UTC-4, TimR wrote:

next morning, its amazingly effective

g? If it's really toxic it kills the leaves before it gets into the system . I want it absorbed by the leaves, and spread to kill the whole plant, an d usually that takes a bit more time.
trust me 50/50 roundup/ poision ivy killer really works when nothing else d id
I even called a lanscaper who said the killing stuff consumers can buy does nt work. but the pros can use this.
he wanted to kill everything on that hillside, which would of been ok, exce pt my mom planted some of it a couple years before she died, so i like keep ing those around...
On Wednesday, July 29, 2015 at 9:02:48 AM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:

e next morning, its amazingly effective

ing? If it's really toxic it kills the leaves before it gets into the syst em. I want it absorbed by the leaves, and spread to kill the whole plant, and usually that takes a bit more time.

did

esnt work. but the pros can use this.

cept my mom planted some of it a couple years before she died, so i like ke eping those around...
the leaves were rolling up the next morning and within a few days the plant s were totally dead.
i left the remains because i react a lot to poision ivy, and need steroids which make me very ill.
no poision ivy grew back, although i did notice one plant i missed, i murde red it too:)
just try it IT WORKS!:)

Must be GMO ivy.
Greg