Roper refrigerator - repair or replace?

I have a 9 year old 20 cu. ft. Roper side-by-side refrigerator which recently stopped working. It sounds like a fan still runs, but the compressor does not. So, no cooling takes place.
Assuming it is the compressor, can this be repaired or replaced? The original cost of the unit was $600. I wouldn't want to spend more than about $300 on repairs. For under $500 I could pick up a new refrigerator at Best Buy.
However, I do like the design of the Roper and it always worked well before the failure. Would an authorized Whirlpool repair facility be likely to do the work correctly? Would there be any warranty on an expensive new compressor (say 5 years)?
Any information or suggestions would be appreciated.

If it is the compressor, I would replace the unit. Personally I would not spend more than 1/3 of the replacement cost for any appliance.
Colbyt
<< Assuming it is the compressor, >>
Bad assumption. Just as likely to be a simple relay. Have a good appliance man check it out. Borrow a trailer, hook it to your big ol' SUV and tote the fridge down to the shop after getting the tech's OK first. If he calls you with real bad news, take the trailer over to Sam's Club, Menards or whereever and buy the bargain of your choice. Frankly, I'd check Consumer Reports on fridges first to better the odds on getting a good one. HTH
Joe
A new one will use less than half the power of what you have, yours probably costs 25$ a month at 0.12kwh. Weigh this in your decision. Consumer Reports and Energy Star are good places to help you make a decision. Check and shop by that Yellow energy consumption label , they are all different but any new unit will save alot in your monthly bill. The payback for getting rid of my older functioning unit is 4.5 yrs. Sears has the most efficient line in smaller 19.5 cu ft. Im not sure about the larger ones. If yours is recessed you can line the recess with foamboard. If your unit wasnt functioning well your savings could be 75% in electric.

This is Turtle.
Get a Frig tech to see the problem.
If it is the compressor --- Buy a new one and don't look back.
If it some thing eolse smaller in cost concider a repair.
Changing a compressor on this model could run $300.00 easy.
The warrenty on just a new compressor installed on your 9 year old frig. would be 90 days labor and one year on compressor. Now some shops will go 1 year labor and 1 year compressor. Not a very good choice for $300.00 or so repair. Buy a new one.
Roper and Whirlpool are the exactly the same box. You call Whirlpool for warrenty work on both.
TURTLE
As a former appliance (laundry and refrigeration)tech, I'd echo what the guys like Turtle & Jeff are saying.
As a general rule, compressor replacement is not cost-effective, running close to (or even beyond!) the cost of a replacement unit. Factor in the energy savings of a new, more efficient fridge and it's effectively a "no-contest". Some utilities also offer a rebate of $35 or more to consumers who "retire" an old fridge, it's certainly worth checking this with your electricity supplier.
Hi,

Totally warm inside? Model#?

The compressor can be replaced, the compressor itself cannot be repaired. Might not be the compressor.....could be bad start relay for the compressor, someone what have to confirm what is working and what is not.

Yes :)

Normally all new parts come with a 1 year parts warranty, labour will/may vary from 30, 90 days to a year.
We don't know that the comp is bad -- I can think of two other parts that would cause a comp not to run.
I'd call a repairman out to see what the real problem is. Might be a very simple fix.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

**IF** compressor failure is the cause, the *fridge* could be repaired by replacing the compressor. A compressor itself can not be repaired.

I doubt you'd be able to have the compressor replaced for less than about $350 in most areas.

The compressor (part only) would likely be warranted against defects in material and workmanship for 1 year. Labour may be warranted anywhere from 30 days to 1 year depending on the company doing the job.

Most likely as Whirlpool is the manufacturer of Roper brand appliances.
There are several relatively inexpensive components which can stop the compressor from running. None (other than the compressor itself) are likely reasons for replacing the fridge.
I would definitely suggest you at least get it checked out before scrapping it. Don't assume it is the compressor until you know for sure!
JMO
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Roper+fridge
=~~~~~~