Roofing Question

Page 4 of 4

Nevada seems to think a deposit is not unusual. That's where you're from, right? http://www.nvcontractorsboard.com/Consumer_Info/2007%20forms/10%20Tips%20for%20Consumers.pdf http://www.nvcontractorsboard.com/Consumer_Info/2007%20forms/Senior%20Guild%20To%20Hiring%20A%20Contractor.pdf
The last has this to say: Large Down Payments A dishonest contractor demands a large down payment to cover supplies and pay workers. On most types of contracts, there is no set amount for a down payment. However, it is a good rule of thumb not to let the payments get ahead of the work.
If a contractor is asking for a big deposit and/or cash, that's one thing, and it's definitely a warning sign. But you didn't say something normal and reasonable, like not letting the payments get ahead of the work. That is reasonable, NEVER PAY UP FRONT is not.
If a customer expressed concern about the deposit and paying for their materials, and they weren't sending off all of these negative warning signals like you're doing, I'd offer to let them pay the supplier directly when delivery was made. That way they paid for their materials that are now safely stored on their property. It's actually safer for the owner as paying the supplier directly insures that there won't be a supplier's mechanics lien. http://www.nvcontractorsboard.com/Consumer_Info/2007%20forms/120%20Notice%20To%20Owner.pdf
Where's the risk in that? Oh, right. There is none, but it's not about the risk for you. It's about getting something for nothing and/ or being one up on somebody. The saddest thing is that people might actually listen to your nonsense and rule out good contractors with good reputations that know how to run a business. That's just wrong.
wrote in message

http://www.nvcontractorsboard.com/Consumer_Info/2007%20forms/10%20Tips%20for%20Consumers.pdf
http://www.nvcontractorsboard.com/Consumer_Info/2007%20forms/Senior%20Guild%20To%20Hiring%20A%20Contractor.pdf
http://www.nvcontractorsboard.com/Consumer_Info/2007%20forms/120%20Notice%20To%20Owner.pdf
Well, that settles it. You said it, so it must be true.
I tell you what, Ric. I'll do what I want with MY money, and you can do the same. Just as with all the other readers here.
I shall, however, continue to state my experiences, suggestions, and advice here with no need of approval from you. People can, and will, do as they please in their own circumstances.
Steve
There's been a lot said here about deposits.
Deposits are usual and customary in today's market for custom work, special orders, and other special circumstances agreed upon in advance by both parties of the contract.
I started out my steel erection contracting business doing ornamental metal in my garage. 50% down because it was custom work, and 50% upon installation.
I did about two years of this before I grew and got into the commercial market and got my contractor's license. In that time, I was jerked around by so many homeowners that I was sick of it.
Once I took off commercially, I changed policies. If anyone said ANYTHING about the deposit on custom work, I'd just put a big X on my copy, and tell them to call me. If they did call back for the work, I'd say that I was just too busy and they could call back every three months. Anyone who grumped about paying a deposit for custom work would grump about everything else, too. Usually they called me back with some long tale of woe about how bad a job they had gotten at a "bargain" price, and could I come fix it. "Sure, a truck and two men are $95 per hour." More wailing.
Once I got commercial, the word "deposit" never came up. They pay when the job is FINISHED AND INSPECTED. Or they do progress payments. And then it may take a while for the girl to cut the check.
So, while I say deposits are bad and unnecessary, I must admit that sometimes .................. The main thing is to know your contractor, have recourse, see their licensing and insurance, and check things out.
As for homeowners paying for stuff up front, I have heard too many horror stories. It's like the drunk who asks for a buck to get something to eat. You offer to take him and buy him a burger. No, they want the buck. If the contractor can't get the materials, YOU buy them and dispense them as used. But NOOOOO, they want the deposit.
Many have written here, both the informed and the clueless. It is different with different types of businesses, and areas. But business is business, and it's just not a smart idea to pay for something you don't get.
MHO, YMMV
Steve

Do you even read the stuff you write before you hit send? I know you don't think about it.
A little while ago you were shouting NEVER PAY FOR WORK UP FRONT, now you're telling us that you customarily did business that way? Then you're telling us that you left the deposit thing behind when you went into commercial work. WTF? Sure, there's no difference between commercial and residential work, is there? Sheesh.

At least I am honest enough to tell the story. Things change in people's lives (not yours apparently) and from one time to another, they do things differently.
As for now, I don't USUALLY give deposits, save for custom work or special orders. And I damn sure wouldn't give a deposit to a roofer under any circumstances.
Steve

I do however, expect you to sign all the papers before I deliver product to your property so that I have a lien on your home. If you hesitate to pay on completion, I kick your sorry ass out, auction off your home and take my cut and give you what is left after expenses.

That's his thought for this post. LMAO

That's your trouble, Ric, you know more than your capacity.
Now let me think about this ................
plonk .......................
Do I want to hit the SEND button .................
Wait, wait, I know this .............
Bye, Rick the Dick ....................
wrote

Plonking the people that see the real you? LOL

He did mention the "clueless", he was referring to himself!!!!!
giving a down payment is the way to get ripped off. if a company isnt big enough to wait till the jobs done before collecting payment.send them on their way. you wouldnt believe the number of contractors that never return after getting a down payment. he's guessing on the wood thickness..lucas

It is also important to check out the contractors. I had a roofing job done for $60,000 with no deposit required.
I had a siding job done for $42,000 and we paid 1/3 at the start, 1/3 after 50% complete, 1/3 at final. The company that did the job has been in business for 25 years and they did show up the day they said they would. Another siding contractor did not require any deposit but they were $20,000 higher on the bid.
Clueless Mary Wrote:

Partly due to code and partly due to the product that is sold for that purpose. Ask roofer to replace any bad wood. It would be highly unusual for none to be found. And that is something you would want done.
--
Mortpes