Old floor buckling by vent

Old floor buckling by vent open original image
Old floor buckling by vent open original image
Old floor buckling by vent open original image
Old floor buckling by vent open original image
Old floor buckling by vent open original image
Old floor buckling by vent open original image
Old floor buckling by vent open original image

Hello! I’m not sure what to really say, because I’ve never posted here before, but I’m hoping anyone can help. I’m renting an old house that was built in the 1930’s give or take, and it has mostly alllll original work. I’m trying to replace our carpet with laminate planks, and I’ve come to an issue in the livingroom. We have floor vents in every room, and in our livingroom the wood floor under the carpet is buckling against the wall by the vent. It’s about 3 feet long of a bump. I know you can’t put hardwood, laminate or anything like that over uneven flooring so I need to fix this issue. My landlord isn’t going to, so nobody please remind me that they should. 😖 The wood thats “buckling” looks like tongue and groove, and I know if you go in our basement and look up you’d be looking directly at floor joists & our “subfloor” which is planks- not solid sheets. I don’t think this is from water damage but I’m not 100%. The kitchen sink is about

11 feet away, and the washing machine is about 11 feet away too (used to be a bathroom, now it’s a small laundry room). We don’t have a fire place, but there’s what looks like a chimney on top of the house, and in the basement there’s what looks like a brick rectangle from the concrete floor through the ceiling, and a bunch of HVAC vents/ducts and plumbing lines around it, which is also right around where this bump is. I know, probably a lot of useless information. I’m just very lost about what to do. Anyway, I’ll try to put some pictures in to show what I’m talking about. The wood floor being shown probably just has to be taken out and replaced. It’s very dry and broken looking. Some of the flooring in the house looks good but some does not (like this spot). If anyone can tell me ANYTHING about this floor please do. Being an older out of date house it’s a little more confusing for me to find proper information. I’d like to know how to even this out for laminate plank flooring, and just any information about this floor in general. What kind it might be, how to safely remove & replace since it’s around a heating/cooling duct. I’m thinking I probably have to take that old wood out, and put down new, then I can proceed with laminate on top. I think it’s tongue and groove but honestly do not know. I don’t even know how it happened. ANYYYYY information is helpful information 😅 Also I read something once about black glue used back around the 1930’s contained asbestos? Under the carpets foam pad is black mucky dry stuff, and parts of the carpet pad stick to it. Pad is pretty dry and brittle. Our duct/vent looks to be nailed to the wood flooring thats in question too. /The wood floor that’s in question is a light color that someone previously painted a purple/maroon color, and it’s chipping away/ I wish they never ever tried to paint the floor because I can see in other areas the original color and it’s a pretty color. I also want to mention in the basement there’s no insulation. It’s concrete walls & floor. There’s a man made hole in the wall that leads to the other half of the house but it’s not accessible right now. That side has pink insulation on the ceiling. The side of the house that IS accessible in the basement is just concrete, wood joists, plank subfloor, and a bunch of wires & copper pipes & HVAC vents. And spiders. 😬

TL;DR: Floor is “buckling” by floor heating/cooling vent. Want to replace carpet with laminate but the buckling makes it uneven. Want to know how to fix it and make it even without breaking anything important 😂

Notsosunnystate

Since your landlord evidently does not care, and it's going to be covered anyway, then yes, I would remove the crumbing sections and replace it with smooth wood. It does not have to be perfect...just flat and even.

Reply to
philo

Buster, you've got more than just warped floors. You have electricaling going through the sheet metal ductwork??? Does the ductwork go through the joists too? Looks like my wife's neice's old house in windsor where half the floor joists were cut and the other half rotted. If you put a level on the floor, does it slope down towards the wall, then the floor quickly slopes up to the wall? If so find a sifferent place to rent and don't waste the laminate planking.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Did you LOOK at the pictures?????? I suspect serious structural issues along with serious electrical safety issues.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

<snip>

Holy crap.

I only viewed one image, you are right.

The OP better not touch it.| It needs a real pro to fix this dangerous mess.

Reply to
philo

I think you may be screwed. Looks like there can be some serious damage there. I'd be looking for a safer place to live if your landlord does not care.

You can probably takes some crap out and put other flat wood in place put that is cosmetic and you may have structural problems.

Also, what are those wires? Are they for cable TV or current carrying? Looks scary to me.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

One wire is cable TV, the others, who knows. I would suggest backing up to the 30000 foot view. It's a rental, what's in it for the OP? This is a big project. Is the landlord ok with it? Do you have permission in writing? What happens if there are other problems later, eg you can't get the new flooring right because the house isn't level, is moving, etc? Then what?

But if you are going to proceed, from what is there so far, ignoring the wires, the solution would be to remove and replace the wood that's too high. Without the right eqpt, that's not so easy. Maybe using auto body filler would work and be easier. But it's that all that's wrong? All in all though, unless the owner is family or something, I wouldn't go looking for trouble.

Reply to
trader_4
Re: Old floor buckling by vent open original image
Re: Old floor buckling by vent open original image
Re: Old floor buckling by vent open original image
Re: Old floor buckling by vent open original image
Re: Old floor buckling by vent open original image

replying to Notsosunnystate, Notsosunnystate wrote: OP here; I appreciate everyone’s comments even if they’re upsetting to know. I want this house to work out so badly but there’s so many random issues. Ugh just want to point out I’m ripping the carpet away from the bump to get closer and I found a large double sided razor blade under the carpet pad 🙄 Ugh. Here’s a new picture trying to get in closer. For this moment I’m trying to get closer without doing irreversible damage lol. Can’t exactly go to the home improvement store ATM if I do too much. Also please keep in strong mind how old this house is (1930’s)! I pressed on the wooden bump in question, and it’s hard as a rock. It doesn’t sink at all when pressed on. The tack board is stuck to the floor too. The tack board is stuck on the bad floor, which has about an inch gap from the wall (behind the vent) and then where the bump is there’s no space. It looks jammed. I’ll try to post as many new pictures as I can. Pictures are harder to see dimensions then in person. One pic is POV of vent & the gap. One pic is POV of gap of bump to wall. And then there’s a picture where the two pieces of plank look like they were forced upwards and it broke their seam?

Notsosunnystate
Re: Old floor buckling by vent open original image

replying to Ed Pawlowski, Notsosunnystate wrote: The wires are coming through from the basement through a corner of the duct & the flooring. Honestly I don’t know how this handled about 90 years. The river is in our backyard and we had floods in ‘06 & ‘11. Allegedly it didn’t come up to the house but I believe it reached the basement at least. The floor “buckle” (I say that because it doesn’t look like a typical floor buckle) to me looks like someone did the floor and got mad and jammed it in there. Except there’s space between the wall and the wood. I want to replace the wood but because it looks like tongue and groove planks I’m afraid to. Also the black stuff under the carpet pad 🤮 Here’s a picture of the wires coming through and no I’m not using them. We don’t have cable here anyway. On the other side of one of those pictures I originally posted shows the TV and over there is another cable plug too. So I’m thinking this ones never really been used.

Notsosunnystate
Re: Old floor buckling by vent open original image

replying to Clare Snyder, Notsosunnystate wrote: Windsor? That’s not far from me (NY). I’ll try to post a picture. It’s coming from the basement through the corner of the duct & the wood. This is the only part of any floor in the house with warping. My LL said it’s been like that. I’m gonna try to pull the carpet up more to see it better. If I go downstairs I can’t see this spot good because of all the ducts and copper pipes and that brick-chimney like thing.

Notsosunnystate

replying to Clare Snyder, Notsosunnystate wrote: Ahh, you know what’s funny. My dads an electrician & he would probably lose his shit if he saw a lot of stuff in this house. I sent my mother a picture of subfloor/joists from the basement looking upward, and she said “your dad would lose his shit if he saw those wires.”

Reply to
Notsosunnystate