Roofing Question

By visual inspection, roofer diagnoses buckling in some of the plywood sheathing and takes a down payment to buy supplies, including the plywood sheathing.

How does roofer know the thickness of the sheathing without ripping-off the shingles? Seems to me that he'll need to use the same thickness to match the existing sheathing that has not buckled. Thanks.

Reply to
Clueless Mary

If the roofer has enough experience in your neighborhood, he probably has a 90% confidence level what is the sheathing thickness. It's still an assumption on his part. If the guy is contemplating just guessing and going with it, that's not really a good sign. Did the roofer go into your attic to verify what was going on with the sheathing?

RicodJour

"Clueless Mary" wrote

This would concern me. He should not need money from you to get the supplies. From everything I have read, a reputable contracter has a line of credit with stores. I have never had to pay for materials up front like that.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

Agreed that your reply makes sense. The other concern I have, is how he/she NEEDS the down payment to buy supplies. Most supply houses around here have credit available. IMHO, not a good sign.

tom @

Just Joshin

I know someone who also had buckled roof .. .. the cause was the original carpenter who installed the sheathing had driven the nails too deep, and the plys were separating a bunch .. .. re-nailed the whole roof during a re-shingle job and all is well. You need to know WHY the roof is buckled before you can allow anyone to repair it. I'd be getting 2nd and 3rd opinions. Call a carpenter as well as a roofer to offer options. This roofer might be just trumping-up some easy money.

Clueless Mary wrote:

Reply to
Anonymous

Collecting a deposit does not mean the contractor _needs_ the money, it's simply a standard procedure for most and is a good business practice. There's risk for the contractor, same as the owner, so collecting money that's being spent on the _owner's_ project only makes sense. Whether a deposit is collected or not depends entirely on the contractor, but the maximum allowable deposit is usually spelled out by local or state law, so obviously it's OK with them. The line of credit at a supplier is there for the contractor's benefit, not the owner's. If the contractor decides to float the owner, that's up to them.

RicodJour

Maybe, maybe not. Some small contractors do very good work, but are not fiscally able to finance much of a job. It is also protection for them against a homeowner that tries to stiff them. The guy that did my roof is a god example. I gave him a third up front. Of course, I knew him by reputation for a number of years.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Just Joshin" wrote

One of the top ten stupid things people do in life is pay in advance for repairs. If the person is licensed, experienced, and in business long enough, they will have the money or credit to buy the materials and get paid when the job is done.

NEVER PAY UP FRONT.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

wrote

Only the derelicts and fugitives. Reputable contractors don't.

And I can see that you've NEVER been in business. Most companies and businesses will NOT pay in advance under any circumstances. They will make progress payments as stages of the work are completed, but they will NEVER let the workman get ahead of them.

Steve, a former steel erection contractor, State of Nevada for nine years

Reply to
SteveB

wrote

Only on pop bottles and beer kegs.

Reply to
SteveB

Is he replacing all the sheating?

Reply to
<kjpro

Probably from the experience of working on hundreds of roofs, and that there is only one thickness used in your area. Probably half inch. And sometimes a piece is visible on the outside that can be seen, so he doesn&#39;t need to go inside. Ask him how he&#39;s sure. If you don&#39;t think the man knows what he&#39;s doing, hire someone else.

Roofing isn&#39;t rocket science, and if there is a difference in the sheathing, it&#39;s only going to be 1/8", and that can be shimmed so it is not a visible transition.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

You&#39;re not in business I see.

Almost everybody gets a deposit these days!!!!

Reply to
<kjpro

Never paid a deposit?

Reply to
<kjpro

  1. By knowing local building practice is to build in conformity with the llocal building code.
  2. By knowing what thickness of roof sheathing is specified in the local building coded.

Both appear normal for successful roofers.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Pretty good logic .. EXCEPT .. "CODE" does not specify what material or thickness to use .. .. only the MINIMUM allowed. How would he know if the structure was built to custom specs that exceeded the code ?? I still say you need to determine what caused the buckling before you can do much to correct it.

Reply to
Anonymous

The normal is to pay a deposit.

I guess you like doing shit for nothing?

Reply to
<kjpro

Bullshit!!!

We&#39;re talking about a residential project here, MORON.

I see you&#39;ve never worked residential jobs!

Oh my, a whole 9 years..... LOL

Come back when you&#39;ve learnt how business is run in today&#39;s world.

Reply to
<kjpro

"SteveB" wrote

If I&#39;ve read it once, I&#39;ve read it a million times. If the local suppliers don&#39;t trust the person enough to extend credit, there is probably a reason. I have never had to front anyone money for supplies.

However, perhaps that is normal elsewhere.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

I knew this wouldn&#39;t pertain to you... as renters never have to hire a contractor!

Reply to
<kjpro