Roofing Question

Page 3 of 4

I knew this wouldn't pertain to you... as renters never have to hire a contractor!

I don't know why this is annoying you but ... no, all the work I've had done on my house, no deposits, except for ordering the kitchen cabinets. I didn't buy them from the contractor.
nancy
wrote

Sounds like a deposit to me...

No, I bought them because I knew what I wanted, and the layout. I only started looking for a contractor after the cabinets were sitting in my garage.
nancy

Ooops, I didn't finish. The contractor brought all the sheetrock, wood trim, electrical stuff, etc etc that was needed for the job. No payment for anything up front.
nancy

I had my roof repaired last year. This year I got a new roof. Last year I had the valley repaired and did not pay anything up front. The company doing the job was a very large company. This year we decided it was time to replace the old tile roof with shingles before the price got too high for shingles. We paid one third down up front. The company was a small company with a good reputation. When the job was finished we paid the balance. This is customary here (FL). I don't know of any company that would start work without a down payment.

What about the big one that did the first repair?
Steve
wrote

Minor repair, dipshit!!!
wrote

You put money down in order to get the cabinets.
That *is* a deposit!!!!
I know someone who also had buckled roof .. .. the cause was the original carpenter who installed the sheathing had driven the nails too deep, and the plys were separating a bunch .. .. re-nailed the whole roof during a re-shingle job and all is well. You need to know WHY the roof is buckled before you can allow anyone to repair it. I'd be getting 2nd and 3rd opinions. Call a carpenter as well as a roofer to offer options. This roofer might be just trumping-up some easy money.
Clueless Mary wrote:

Is he replacing all the sheating?

1. By knowing local building practice is to build in conformity with the llocal building code. 2. By knowing what thickness of roof sheathing is specified in the local building coded.
Both appear normal for successful roofers.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Probably from the experience of working on hundreds of roofs, and that there is only one thickness used in your area. Probably half inch. And sometimes a piece is visible on the outside that can be seen, so he doesn't need to go inside. Ask him how he's sure. If you don't think the man knows what he's doing, hire someone else.
Roofing isn't rocket science, and if there is a difference in the sheathing, it's only going to be 1/8", and that can be shimmed so it is not a visible transition.
Steve

there
sometimes
go
he's
sheathing,
I see you need to stick with giving advice on another subject.
One thickness per area????? LOL Only an 1/8 of an inch??????? LOL
What's the difference between 1/2 and 3/4?????
Now go outside and play with your dog little kiddy.

Man, you follow me like a puppy. Most roofers use 1/2" and 5/8". I don't know of a lot who use 3/4" for roofing.
Steve

Don't mean that it doesn't exist, now does it??

Kitty Litter, meet kjpro. bye

Pretty good logic .. EXCEPT .. "CODE" does not specify what material or thickness to use .. .. only the MINIMUM allowed. How would he know if the structure was built to custom specs that exceeded the code ?? I still say you need to determine what caused the buckling before you can do much to correct it.
Had my roof done a couple of years ago with a special order shingle. No down payment. Total cost about $15,000.00 with all the extras, etc. Paid nothing until bill arrived in the mail a few weeks after the job was complete.

How can this be? It has been stated time and again here that deposits are usual and customary. ;-)