Roofer's Contract Spec'ed #30 felt paper, but used #15 instead -- Suggestions?

Page 1 of 2
My mother had her house re-foofed and as I was cleaning up the yard I found a felt paper wrapper for the 15 lbs kind. I had read the contract and it called for 30, so I was really concerned my Mom had been ripped off. I looked it up on the internet and confirmed it was definitely #15 (Esgard No.15 Asphalt Felt Plain).
After some more research, it seems it's not as serious of a cheat to use 15 instead of 30 on a low pitched roof like my Mom's, but I'm still pissed they'd take advantage of her like that.
My opinion of this particular roofer is already pretty low after finding a huge gash on the patio roof that they made and slapped a piece of icegard on it. They seem to think there's little chance of us going up on the roof to check it out....
I've already complained about the hole and they've agreed to come back and fix it properly. Should I even bother bringing up the felt paper? Other than these two discoveries, the roofing job looks okay. Does Northeast Ohio need 30 pound felt paper?
Is this kind of thing common?

ask for a price adjustment or have them do it per the contract.
but never underestimate the impact that your lawyer can make
Did he put 2 layers of 15 pound felt on? If he put 1 layer with a 4" overlap time to be mad.............
On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 23:23:06 -0700, Robert Morien

- Don T. Spam -

contract
- Nehmo - * The wrapper paper alone isnt conclusive. They might have had a roll of 15 on the truck. * 15 lb isnt going to make the roof fail, but if you agreed to 30 lb, thats what you should have got. But mom already paid, didnt she? * You dont have the knowledge to evaluate the job when you say it looks okay otherwise. * Youre going to trust these guys to correctly rectify when you already believe theyre pretty low? * _Any_ wrappers left behind is sloppy. * The lower the roof pitch, the more important the quality needs to be.
**Youre posting anonymously and youre not naming roofing company; thus, youre chicken, and because of that youre unlikely to get any remedy. So quit trying to be mommys hero. Shell love you anyway, and you'll look like a weakling when don't get the adjustment.
--
)|||(__ Nehmo __)|||(

Get the city inspector out, I know it will mean pulling a late permit but it should only be 20$. Say the roofer forgot to do it. Then ask for an inspection . This is city inspectors job, is free-you actualy paid for it, and is why everyone can benefit from pulling a permit. If you found 2 things wrong he may find 20 more. Document everything in writing, as in emails. and record conversations, I do on contracts. Photograph issues before they fix them. Get a sample of paper from the roof to confirm it is 15lb, Email the manufacturer to see what they say about 15lbs adverse life spam vs 30. Then ask for a rebate of what you think is fair. If they refuse or are jerks, file small claim, its easy and cheap 35$ for me. Even suponea the inspector if you must go to court. I have done this. You should check his insurance and lisence, he is a hack and you never know what you will find. Your issue is common.
Shouldn't he also get a new constitutional amendment to cover the issue, m Ransley?
--
)|||(__ Nehmo __)|||(

Nehmo's is either a troll, or the sort of person who'd do a job like the one the OP is trying to remedy.
People post anonymously because to name themselves and the roofing company would be making a faulty assumption that the roofing company might not hear about it, and thus undermine their cause. And, for the purpose of the discussion, does it matter who these individuals are?
And anyone who wouldn't try to be their parent's advocate when dealing with the service industry (which has a not-terribly-flattering record on giving a fair shake to older folks) is simply a shitty son or daughter.
Best Regards, -- Todd H. http://www.toddh.net /
- Nehmo -

-Todd H -

- Nehmo - I think I'm one, but what difference does it make? I could be a troll, a terrorist, or a tuba player. If you want to attack, you need to go to the merits.
-Todd H -

- Nehmo - Now, how does that follow? If one of my guys made a hole in a customer's roof, I certainly would make sure the customer understood that the event would require additional resources. But I'm a reasonable contractor. Something like that wouldn't cost the customer too much more.
-Todd H -

- Nehmo - Most of the time they post anonymously because they're cowards. I know; I've done it a few hundred times.
And isn't the defense of the anonymousness up to the one who is anonymous? I challenged him, and he chickened again.
-Todd H -

- Nehmo - Yes. It's not a hypothetical discussion. There is a real roofing company that others may use of may have used. OP is selfishly not alerting them and he is inhibiting potential first-hand advice.
Moreover, credibility counts. Anonymous cowards don't have much.
-Todd H -

- Nehmo - Lots of sons try to compensate for years of inconsiderateness to mom by posing as her saver from some third party. Often these kids are still getting money form mom.
--
)|||(__ Nehmo __)|||(

I dunno there Nehmo... I think we have a new poster child for the Blame the Victims League of Unsubstantiated Claims and Prejudices.
Point is, you unfairly attacked a guy whose trying to do some research or brainstorming to keep his mother from being taken by a roofing contractor. If someone is strategizing how to rectify a given situation, that they post anonymously and don't name names actually keeps a card in their hand that they can play in the future: that is, the value of a disatisfied customer being able to say "I'd really like to avoid having to make a big deal about this situation not being resolved. I'm sure you have spent a lot of effort trying to build a good name/reputation for your company. And, well... let's just say that I have the ability to make a LOT of noise if this isn't resolved."
To hold that card rather than playing it at this point isn't cowardice, nor is it an indication of being dependent on Mom, it's simply reasonable and intelligent.
But, I do have to say, you've given us some interesting insight into your psyche, and perhaps past/present experiences with such an interesting view on the world.
Tell us about your childhood.
Best Regards, -- Todd H. http://www.toddh.net /
- Todd H -

effort trying to build a

- Nehmo - {I wrote a sarcastic reply to that, but it wasn't funny enough, so, unfortunately, I'll have to be serious.} Do you honestly expect OP's mom's roofer to respond to a threat like that?
--
)|||(__ Nehmo __)|||(

It's worked for me with various home work issues in the past.
Any business owner who works off of referrals and is any brighter than a roofing nail does tend to care about their good name, not showing up in the BBB database as having unresolved issues, or in google with a long page describing in detail what a twat of a sloppy shoddy businessman he is.
But if it's an apologist idiot who isn't bright enough to understand the monetary value of good customer service, then, no, such a tack doesn't tend to help.
-- Todd H. http://www.toddh.net /
Nehmo wrote:

I think you're reading too much into my post. Assuming you don't consider yourself a coward, you may have issues with your mother for naming you "Nehmo".
Thanks, anyway.
- Don T. Spam -

- Nehmo - Sorry, but anonymous cowards have no talking room when it comes to names.
--
)|||(__ Nehmo __)|||(

I think you're a roofer and one I hope never to hire.
- Ed -

- Nehmo - Im not contracting, nor do I currently plan to contract, any roofs. But even when I was doing roofs, because of your self-importance, you wouldn t have met my qualifications for a customer.
So sorry, but it doesnt matter what you hope never to do.
--
)|||(__ Nehmo __)|||(

What a bloody idiot.
JTMcC.

- JTMcC -

- Nehmo - bloody? Are you a Brit or something?
--

Doesn't matter, he's right in any dialect.
- wkearney99 -

- Nehmo - Bloody as a throwaway adjective is unusual for leftpondians. JTMcC was straining the language section of his old brain for a creative insult, and he couldnt get it to produce properly, so it blurted out the foreign term. Simply Idiot would have concise and stronger, but his brain doesnt have the editing capacity to do that. Such details are important: On the usenet, you are what you say.
--

ok, I'll keep it simple asshole. i are saying, you are an asshole.