Robinson bits

Page 1 of 3
Why is it that tool kits (drill bit sets, screwdriver sets, etc.) made in the US never include Robinson bits? They are far superior to Phillips or slot drivers. Just curious.

Strange, I find them all over, not at the home centers, but at places that sell real tools and cater to professionals. Greg
Greg O wrote:

Most HO's do not need overpriced 'real' tools. ie: My black and decker jigsaw and router are over 25 years old and still run like new.
martik wrote:

25 years ago Black & Decker were real tools. Buy one today and get back to me in 2030 and let me know how that Chinese crap is holding up. Dave (BTW I bet your old B&D's will still be humming along.

I have an old B&D circular saw. It is all silver on the outside, but believe it is aluminum rather than silver. I need to research on how old it is. I found it in a big rolling wooden box with lots of other old woodworking equipment. It still runs, and I believe it is at least 25 years old.
Steve
Robinson screws and screwdrivers are a Canadian invention that were made in Milton Ontario, as far as I'm concerned they are far superior to other screw types as they rarely strip or skip, how many other screws can you start with one hand (just holding the screw driver while the screw stays on the end) and how many screws can you hold upside down. As I'm sure many of you already know Robinson screws are #ed and coloured from smallest to largest Yellow, Green, Red, Black (Red being #2 and most common).
Oh ya the Robinson never took off in the States because Robinson wouldn't allow places like FORD to purchase his patent rights to use on their cars, Philips on the other hand would and was an American invention so it took off on the US side, in Canada if you do electrical you use the full gamete of Robinson colours.

What do you mean by overpriced? Sure, they cost more, but you get more, Better, larger bearings, better motors, lots of things not visible just looking at the outside of the case. You won't find a pro doing good work with a B & D jig saw, he'll probably have a Bosch or Milwaukee that cuts smoother, has faster blade changes, last longer. Most homeowners don't need that. Your 25 y ears of use may be what a prod does in a couple of weeks.

You are correct, most do not NEED higher priced tools, I just enjoy using higher quality tools, it makes the job a bit more enjoyable.
My Dad has a 25-30 year old B&D jig saw, good sturdy tool. My Bosch jig saw is smoother, quieter, cuts faster, and therefore a much nicer tool to use. Did I NEED a Bosch jig saw, hell no! I wanted one though! In fact I owned it over a year before I even used it! Greg
D'oh, that should be Robertson...

Probably due to NIH Syndrome (Not Invented Here); as you're probably aware, the Robertson screw was invented by a Canadian. You're right, the Robertson *is* far superior. Here in the US, most home centers sell dual head (Robertson/Phillips) screws, and Robertson drivers that will fit in a power drill -- but I have *never* seen a Robertson screwdriver in any store in the US. They must be fairly common in Canada, though, 'cause I didn't have any trouble at all finding them at Home Depot or Sears the last time I was in Windsor. OTOH, if I had wanted to buy a Phillips screwdriver in those places... I might've been out of luck. I honestly didn't see any Phillips screwdrivers at HD, although I think Sears did have them.
Doug Miller wrote:

Funny that americans use zippers that were invented by a canadian:)

I notice that Tim Bits are now available in some areas of the USA.
Gary Please remove XXX in email address if email reply is desired.

but I have *never* seen a Robertson screwdriver in any store in the US. ]
Sears sells them tony D.
Bondhus makes ball end square drive screwdrivers that work either 25 or 15 off axis. Handles are color coded identifying the size.
On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 07:53:31 -0800, "Anthony Diodati"

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 01:56:52 GMT, "Tellmeaboutit"

I am curious as to why they don't seem to use the name Robertson any more, but call them square drive instead. Wouldn't that be like calling Phillips, + drive?
On 2/8/2005 8:38 AM US(ET), Alan took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

I didn't know what Robertson screws were, but it seems I have been using them for a few years. I used square drive screws on my vinyl fencing, deck, and other projects around the house. I've used coated, aluminum, and stainless steel screws. I haven't seen a square drive screwdriver, but I haven't been looking for one, since I have square drive bits for my cordless and also for my Stanley replaceable bit screwdriver. I am looking at two bits now. One has 'SQ2' stamped on it and the other has 'R2' stamped on it. I guess the 'R' stands for Robertson?
--
Bill

ya they are sized 1,2, etc.. like phillips.
randy

Robertson is a brand (and company) name -- they are the only ones allowed to use that name. Now that the original patent has expired, anyone can build screws and screwdrivers, but they still have no choice but to use a generic term such as "square drive".
For what it's worth, I still buy Robertson brand tools and screws whenever possible -- their quality is excellent. Lots of knock-off "square drive" screwdrivers (and screws) are complete junk.

Because a Canadian invented them and the US is too stubborn to let them in!
: )
Noozer wrote:

That's not it. Robertson bits/screws are denominated in metric. We use Imperial measures. Except for spark plugs, of course.