dado sets and box joint sets

looking for a new dado set and found something i had not heard of before

freud has a box joint set

two blades

one formation gives you 3/8 inch and the other gives you 1/4 inch

would probably meet my needs but it is not cheap

may just go with a 6 inch dado set from hf with a 20 off coupon anyone have an hf dado set

freud also has a dial a width dado set which is 260 dollars or more

Reply to
Electric Comet

All of the above (from Freud, or better). A dado set may give a slightly different profile than a box joint set. Often dados have glue reliefs at the edges (cutters slightly deeper than chippers).

Reply to
krw

I used an 8" HF dado set for years with my old 10" Walker Turner contractor style TS. It only had a 1 HP motor but that never held it back. Anyway, I had no issues with the HF set except that the shims would get caught in t he saw arbor threads and get deformed. Easy fix with magnetic shims.

My use was occasional and the quality of the dado bottom was not an issue o r concern.

I have recently replace the WT saw with a Saw Stop cabinet saw. Love it. I also upgraded my dado set to the 8" set from Ridge Carbide. Day and nigh t quality difference in the dado set and the quality of the cut.

Now, the Ridge set is easily 3 to 5 times more costly then the HF. You jud ge how often you will use this and whether it is worth all the $$s. For me , I wanted a quality set. For occasional use, the HF will probably be just fine.

BTW, I can't say enough good things about Ridge Carbide. Both their blades and their service.

Bill Leonhardt

Reply to
Bill Leonhardt

I bought the Freud box joint set a few years back when they first became widely available ($60 at casa.com).

Absolutely perfect fingre/box joints! I then "discovered" that with the perfectly flat grind on the teeth (and both blades the exact same diameter), it is perfect for grooves and other cuts that need square shoulders and a flat pocket (half laps are where I put them to use, big time).

Even with the FTG profile, there is no tearout on the shoulders as long as a backer board is in use on the miter gauge.

Overall, probably my favorite blade second only to my WWIIs

-BR

Reply to
Brewster

39 dollars with the 20 off so hard to pass up and will not get used much

never heard of ridge carbide but will have a look

Reply to
Electric Comet

maybe i need to consider box joint set

Reply to
Electric Comet

That's why I bought a #1 grind WWII.

Reply to
krw

I have 3 WWII reg kerf 40 tooth blades. I had a flat grind put on the oldest one by Forrest several years ago.

Reply to
Leon