RO filters

I know the charcoal filter on my RO unit needs to be rplaced periodically but what about the RO membrane itself? Mine is over 10 years old. Do I need to replace it? Is clogging the only failure mode?

Reply to
JMagerl

JMagerl wrote:>I know the charcoal filter on my RO unit needs to be rplaced periodically

Mine is over 10 years old. Do I need

the quality of the water going in. Is clogging the only failure mode?

It's the only one I can think of. I hope you're reclaiming your brine...Use it to flush, and laundry. Tom

Work at your leisure!

Reply to
Tom

okay, how does one go about reclaiming the brine? You just drain it into a bucket? There must be more to it than that...could you explain?

Reply to
Curt Martin

Curt wrote: >okay, how does one go about reclaiming the brine? You just drain it

Why should there be more to it than that? Mine is collected in two 55 gallon drums via an irrigation drip tube connected to the waste line of the R.O. filter. The pressure in the system is enough to push the brine up to the drums (they're up on a platform). I've installed a drain in each drum, a modicum of PVC plumbing, and gravity does the rest. You know these R.O.systems will waste

3-4 times as much water as they produce for drinking? Water will be the next major crisis, mark my words. Tom Work at your leisure!
Reply to
Tom