Replacing an old drop-in range (GE)

I don't know if I'll get a good answer, but our kitchen has a 27" drop-in range made by GE probably in 1965. They still make a 27" drop-in that is changed in design and features, but basically sounds like the same animal.
What are the chances that I can buy a new one and simply drop it in where the existing range is without renovation? I've asked people who sell them, and GE, and no definitive answer. We want a new stove, but don't really want to make any but the most minor alterations to get one.
Keith

If you have the model number for the NEW range, goto the GE web site and you should be able to find the full installation instructions including the dimensions of the required cut-out, clearances etc. I know they do publish most or all of those documents on-line.
Measure your existing cut-out etc. and you'll know to a fairly high degree of confidence if the thing is going to fit easily.
If the existing cut-out is too small, you may have to enlarge it. If it's too large, there are conversion kits for some GE cooktops that enable them to be mounted in oversize cut-outs, so you might not be completely screwed.