replacing a thermost without ability to turn off electricity

Page 1 of 2
I would like to replace my thermostat in my apartment with a digital programmable thermostat. I don't have access to turn off the electricity to my HVAC system and I don't want to involve the landland (I can always change back the thermostat when I leave). Do most thermostats run off of a 120v power control? Is there any safe way to replace the thermostat without being able to cut electricity to the HVAC? Thanks
On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 00:35:23 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

No. They run off of 24 volts. If you want to make sure, measure before touching the contacts, but they do. And so will the replacement thermostat.

All the thermostat is is a couple electronically controlled switches, plus an internal microprocessor. You should be able to take off the old one and put on the new one without touching any of the uninsulated portions of the wires and without letting any wire touch any other. Heck, some people change 110 volt fixtures without turning off the power.
If you do touch the wires, you probably won't be able to feel 24 volts, and it won't kill you.
If you let them touch each other, I don't think there is any pair that will hurt anything. More likely it will start the heat or ac.
But now is the time to learn how to do these things wihtout touching anything.
Make a detailed drawing of which wire is on which screw now, so you can put it back before you leave, and so you'll be able to figure out how to attach the new one.

yeah , right ,
short the wrong two together and he'll let the factory smoke out of the transformer , then the landlord will be involved ,
leave it alone ,or call the landlord and have them kill the power while you replace the stat ,
you'll be sorry !!!!!

"let the factory smoke out of the transformer" ???
What does that mean? Is there a transformer that comes with smoke inside, installed by the factory?
your kidding right ? what turnip truck did you just fall off of ?
wrote in message

I just read the words as you wrote them. Can you explain them? Maybe I have a reading comprehension problem.
"let the factory smoke out of the transformer"

Forget your sense of humor this morning?
The "Let the smoke out" is often used for motor when it goes bad. They work well until you let the smoke out

But you can buy replacement smoke:
http://www3.telus.net/bc_triumph_registry/smoke.htm
--
Dennis

Joe,
About 30 yrs ago I heard a joke about semiconductors. The joke was that they worked with smoke. If you hooked them up wrong or abused them the smoke escaped and they stopped working. Hope that clears up your confusion.
Dave M.

Smoke AND mirrors, the mirrors keep the smoke inside - let it out and they don't work anymore plus you've bought yourself seven years bad luck.
keep on trollin !!!!!!! maybe you'll catch a bigger fish ,
wrote in message

When your writing style is strange, you must expect questions.
from you ? its all strange!!!
4 wrote in messageo>psWhen your writing style isstrange, you must expect questions.
No more being tactful. You write like a 1st grader. When someone questions what the hell you're trying to say, you have one valid option: Answer politely.
wrote in messageo>psWhen your writing style is

you really dont have a clue , do you ? you didnt understand my first post ,so you attack my grammar
fuck you !!!!

When you grammar is atrocious, you have to accept it and understand that people will ask for clarification. Or, they may ignore you.
On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 05:55:47 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@-insightbb.com (The Freon Cowboy) wrote:

If he screws it down to the wrong screw, maybe he'll burn out the transmformer, but I was referring to accidentally touching two wires together for a second. Check my post.
BTW, when you snip everything the previous poster wrote, no one can tell if your comment makes sense or not. Leave the part that you're objecting to, and you'll have a much better chance of convincing someone.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

There's no more power/electricty/danger/problem in changing out a thermostat than changing the batteries in some flashlights (24 volts, not 120).
Go for it.
Whether you'll like a programmable thermostat is another issue.
What sort of heating do you have? If its electrical baseboard there may be 120V at the thermostat.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

More likely 240, but then there would be an individual thermostat in each room. My parents' house has this, as there were no other utilities available when it was built. Heat is solely from large woodburning stove and 240V resistive baseboards.
nate