Replacement transformer for sweeper

Page 1 of 2

I have a 12v Model CFV Type 1 Black & Decker Cordless Floor Vac which uses a 12v transformer which I have temporarily misplaced. In the meantime, I found one which I'd like to try out, with two different settings -- one with 100 mA and the other with 300 mA output. Would either of these two settings work OK?
Thanks digger

read the label on the vac to see what it draws. pick a number on the transformer higher than that.

That information "might" be in the missing manual but the only lable is on the base plate, dontaining the model number and the fact that it is 12vdc. My simple minded thought is that the battery would simply charge in less time if I set the transformer on 300mA. I even have another charger which supplies 700mA.
Is there any danger of damaging the battery from using a trickle charge that is less/more than what's recommended?
digger

--
you can cause a fire if it\'s too low. there is no danger if it\'s too high.
see if you can google for the manual or specs on it.

I found the transformer listed on B&D's web but NO specs. Sounds like the transformer wires would simply heat up if amperage was too low so I could simply switch to to the higher mA setting????

12v nicad is not 12v. A 1.2v Nicad is dead at 1.2v and charged at near 1.35v. They have an amp rating and you must meet it to fully charge. A C cell might be 1.2-1.8a so 10 C cells could use a 14v 2a charger that senses peak voltage to shut off, you can measure peak V by voltage drop with a digital battery meter, its is also when batteries start to heat up converting electrical energy to mechanical vibrating and cooking the battery to death. Or go see what is sold or call a repair center.

I'm a little bewildered by saying that a 12v nicad is not 12v in view of the fact that the sweeper requires 12vdc to operate.
But I gather from what you say that an under-supply of amps (e.g. 100mA) would not allow the unit to fully charge and no voltage drop would occur. An over-supply, on the other hand, would cook the battery before any voltage drop would occur.
Out of curiosity, would the same be true for a transformer which only supplied 10 vdc rather than 12vdc to the 12vdc rechargeable battery?
digger

A 12v car battery is 100% charged at about 12.8v, and near dead at 12v, but needs 13.3 to saturate cells on your 12v car, its the same with alot af batteries, each nicad needs 13+v to be fully charged, 10v wont do anything as at 12v its nearly dead and fully discharged, a low amp charger will just take alot longer but you need volts 14 is good.

you're mistaking what it can provide vs what it is asked to provide by the load placed upon it.
if a charging circuit attempts to draw too much current from the transformer, and the transformer has no over temp or over draw circuitry (i haven't seen a transformer ever have a fuse), then the transformer will overheat.
the transformer doesn't provide 600ma all the time; that's just how much CAN be drawn out safely. drawing less is not a problem. attempting to draw out 700ma out of a 600ma transformer will cause a fire eventually.
if the load only needs 300ma, then you could provide a transformer that CAN provide 10amp (which would be pretty big), but the load will only pull what it needs, which would be 300ma, which would be safe.

Ahah! Now for the second part of that question ... Adequate amps but slightly under the 12 vdc .... say 1.0 Amp and 10 vollts out on the transformer???

Ahah! Now for the second part of that question ... Adequate amps but slightly under the 12 vdc .... say 1.0 Amp and 10 vollts out on the transformer???
--
it depends upon the load. incorrect voltage could be ok, may be bad for the
load, or the load may simply not work, depending upon how the load is

Remember that I'm only using the transformer to recharge the battery in the sweeper; so it gets disconnected when using the sweeper. The only load would be on the battery. And the only question is whether a 10 vdc transformer would adequately recharge the 12 v battery (assuming the amps are OK).

Remember that I'm only using the transformer to recharge the battery in the sweeper; so it gets disconnected when using the sweeper. The only load would be on the battery. And the only question is whether a 10 vdc transformer would adequately recharge the 12 v battery (assuming the amps are OK).
--
your load is the charging circuit in the vac, not the battery. and no, 10v
will not charge the circuit enough to recharge its connected battery.

Thanks very much for everyone's contribution.
digger

would you use a 10v charger on a car battery.
Larger amps is more likely to damage. Smaller amps just means longer charge time.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Even with a 12v battery operated device there is no guarantee that the charging brick is DC. I have seen Black & Decker cordless Ni-Cad devices that will use AC bricks and have the rectifiers on board the device instead of being in the charging brick.
If you don't know if the brick is AC or DC then purchase a new one:
http://www.dewaltservicenet.com/documents/English/Instruction%20Manual/607540-00,CFV9600.pdf
http://www.dewaltservicenet.com/Products/PartDetails.aspx?partidX757
On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 18:43:06 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

Why not buy a volt-ohmeter (multi-meter) for 5 to 20 dollars and find out if the transformer-device is AC or DC? Then he'll have a meter, if he doesn't have one already.

On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 13:22:17 -0700 (PDT), digger odell

You have a transformer with a 100ma and 300ma setting? Are you sure both settings are at 12volts?