Removing palm tree stump

Page 2 of 2
Couple things come to mind. Look online, or at the garden store for stump rot stuff. I've heard of drilling the stump full of holes, and then pack the holes with powdered milk. Supposed to speed up the rot.
The firebug in me likes the plan to soak the stump with alcohol, and light it up. I'd drill holes as much as you can, and then there will be more surface are to burn.
The one stump I took out. Sawed it off about three feet up. Cut around it as much as I could with electric sawzall. Took a LOT of blades from Harbor Freight. Cutting stump dulls blades at incredible rate. Then, I pulled it out with a come along tool, to the bumper of my van.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

The articles also rec. adding some ant bait for the ants attracted by the sugar.

Don't have to drill anything - it is like pouring into a ball of string; soaks in quickly and burns (in our case) with a very low flame.

Add pictures here
✖
Alcohol is typically very light blue flame. Almost invisible daytime. Smoke is visible, though. Extinguish alcohol fire with water, as needed. Sounds like a totally useful way to make a stump disappear.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I'll have to try that. I got rid of two trees by fastening a cable near the top and pulling them over with my truck, roots amd all came out of the ground. There are two other stumps left that are a pain. I cant get enough leverage on them to pull them out.
Jimmie
Add pictures here
✖
The one stump I pulled, I cut around it with a sawzall, and a LOT of blades. the teeth wore off, rapidly. Blades cheap enough from harbor Freight. Though, the alcohol fire sounds more rapid. And a lot less vibration injury.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

If the stump is ball shaped, you may be able to insert a king size eye screw (or two) and wrench it out with a come along.
Add pictures here
✖

Palm root balls are fibrous. It won't happin captin.
Add pictures here
✖

It is far too late to help this guy but the trick with palm trees is to pull them over and lever the stump out before you cut them. Use a hose to loosen up the dirt, cut around them with an axe to get the surface roots and they will pull right over. You don't need a truck, a couple guys on a rope will do it if the rope is in the top of the tree
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 21:52:59 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

In all my years I lost only two palm trees. Never worked too remove the roots. In the Mohave desert, the land is compacted, hard too dig into, my landscape..
I'm changing landscape. Some palms just will not work out here.
Add pictures here
✖