Removing paint from a cement floor

Page 2 of 2

bob emery had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Re-Removing-paint-from-a-cement-floor-415318-.htm :
RickH wrote:

-------------------------------------
Thanks All, for your comments.
I did rent a drum sander, as suggested in the postings, what a mess! The paint was not lead based. Anyway, it is done now and I will never paint cement again! We contacted the cement company, Roberts, and asked for their thoughts on installing the 260 sq ft of 12" porcelain tiles. They suggested removing the paint, of course, and using Thinset Flex 2 or 3. I bought Flex 3 and will start soon.
Bob
Add pictures here
✖
Bob Emery wrote:

What kind of paint? I have 100s of trim tiles and tile mop boards stuck to flat paint.
My suggestion...
1. clean a small area of the floor
2. mix up a cup or so of thinset
3. spread the thinset 1/8 or so thick on cleaned area
4. wait a week
5. try to remove thinset
There is no doubt it *can* be removed, the question is, how *difficult* is it to remove? Hard?...tile away. Pops off or easy?...back to the drawing board.
--

dadiOH
On Dec 28 2009, 7:42 pm, blemery_at_rogers_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (Bob Emery) wrote:

Sandblasting may not be such a bad way to go. All the work will be in the prep taping and covering everything that needs protecting which will be everything. Probably not much worse than preping to spray paint a ceiling. When I sandblasted my garage floor I installed 1 foot wide pieces of hardboard around the perimeter to protect the walls and baseboards. You may want to borrow or rent a couple of big shop vacs . Having these running in the room when you are blasting will pick up a lot of the dust before it settles back on the floor. Separating the room into sections with plastic curtains would also help control the mess.
From a chemical stripper I have seen people use lye to strip floor paint. Ive never done it.
Jimmie
Add pictures here
✖