Regarding O-Rings Lubricating..

Page 2 of 2
On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 14:27:51 -0400, MLD wrote:

Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline). As tnom has stated it is eatable and worked for me and a host of mechanics for over forty years. Even used it on poly packing. Easy to see if contaminated and what the contaminate is. A metal shaving or grit in a dark grease will lead to rework. The most expensive work because it it at no profit and may ruin your reputation. Your reputation is hardest part of rework to repair.

Back in the day when I was learning how to rebuild scuba regulators and valves I was warned NEVER to use petroleum jelly or oil on a rubber o-ring as the petroleum products would eventually attack and destroy rubber. We used silicon grease.
A little goes a long ways. We would apply enough to make the ring appear wet.... but not enough to leave any excess glop on the ring.
Food grade silicon grease was available from restaurant supply houses. Dive shops sometimes had it as well. And silicon spray is NOT the same as the grease; it won't last nearly as long.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 20:26:55 -0400, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote:

They were wrong as far as O-ring compatibility. Perhaps the valve or other material is what is in question, not the O-ring.

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 20:26:55 -0400, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote:

EPDM rubber is not compatible with Vaseline. Is this what scuba gear uses? It may be because respirators use it. This is the same type of rubber that automotive door seals are made of.
EPDM is not used as O-ring material in pumps.
Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

would learn the difference.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicone
TDD
On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 20:26:55 -0400, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote:

My Scuba instructor reffered to the lube he recommended as rubber food, way back in the day. That was probably silicon grease.

Thanks MLD, I will be using Silicone grease..
SD

Thanks MLD, I will be using Silicone grease..
SD ***
Google "o ring grease" - You'll get all the info you need L
S.Daley wrote:

I recommend plumbers grease, it is much tackier then most lubes & lasts much longer before washing/wiping away.
S.Daley wrote:

Food grade Lubriplate?