Refridgerator is warm

I have a Whirlpool side by side (ED25PExhw00). It is only 4 years old.

We have noticed that the fridge side was getting warmer and we moved the controls to the coldest setting.

I have never cleaned the coils. Not sure how that happened. I took the front panel off and vaccuumed all that dust off. I also took the back cardboard off and dusted the back off as well.

I did not replace the back cardboard (it also had some foam on it) thinking that it was supposed to be removed after shipping. I was worried that the coils were not getting enough air since the cardboard (about 8 inches high and accross the entire back) only had some slits in it.

After a couple of days, I measured the temp. The freezer is 20 degrees on coldest setting and the fridge is 56 degrees.

I checked the manual and have done everything I am supposed to do. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Scott Felten

Reply to
Scott

One possibility is that the freezer area has an ice accumulation stopping air flow. To get at it you have to remove the panel at the back of the freezer section. Or just leave it unplugged for a while to see if it clears up.

Reply to
HRL

Replace the cardboard on the back. It is suppose to be there so the fan will direct the air in the right direction over the coils. Freezer should be somewhere around 0 to 5 above and fresh food section about 42 degrees. The defrost timer could be stuck in the on position causing the defost heater to be on all the time. A worst case scenario is the the compresser is shot. Is it running constantly...never cleaning the coils will shorten the compressor life but I doubt four years would do it unless it was totally plugged so no air was passing over the coils. I would have a serviceman look at it...for what it's worth..Sears will send a man out, diagnose the problem and give a cost to fix it for $60 (unless you're in Alaska or Hawaii or some such exotic place) and give you a $65 coupon off a new refrig if you choose not to repair. Compressor and sealed system have a 5 year warranty, anyhow. Disclaimer: I work for Sears although not in service, but as a sales associate.

Reply to
Tom

This is Turtle.

First the card board on the back needs to be there and it will not work without it. Put the card board back on it and then start testing again.

Second if it is low on freon and has a leak or a compressor problem. it's still under warrenty for 5 years. Now Electric parts except the compressor it'self is not under warranty.

Thid Start over with the card board back on it.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

More inserted.