side by side refridgerator freezer problem

within a day or two of a power outage (lasted about 2 hrs) the freezer side of my side by side freezer begain to slowly thaw. The refridgerator side is cooling, but not as well as it did. Freezer now stays at about 33-35 deg F. I cleaned the condenser coils. I hear the compressor kick in, but it is only cooling and not very well at that. Is there anything I can do to check the compressor before I call the Sears repair folks?

Thanks for your help! Backyard Farmer

Reply to
backyard farmer

I have been researching a bit more. Glad there are a lot of resources out there willing to assist. I am wondering now if it could be the defrost timer. I will be checking the back side of the freezer, I haven't pulled off any of the back panels to check the evaporator. I'lll also take a look at the coils. I will also try something described in one answer to a similar problem.....feel the compressor outlet line....see if it is hot. I am not quite ready to call in for the professionals yet. By the way, the refridgerator is a Kenmore 25', made by Amana. Thanks Backyard Farmer

Reply to
backyard farmer

Hi,

Make, model#, approx age of the refrigerator?

May not have anything to do with the not cooling.

Some simple things to check for....

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

I have pulled the panels off the back and the panels off of the back wall in the freezer. Compressor line is "hot", compressor cycles and runs smooth and is quiet generally. It is loader than typical now since I have the fridge pulled out into the middle of the kitchen. On the evaporator coils, there are approximately 11 "rows of coils" two deep. The top couple are separated from the bottom by some insulating foam. There is a light "snow" frost forming at the top couple of coils (above some "foam" barriers) and essentially wet with condensation on the 8 or 9 coils rows at the bottom. Water is freely dripping to catch tray at the bottom, then through a hole to the evaporator pan at the bottom of the refridgerator (I guess). Observation: The panel I pulled from covering the evaporator coils did have at the bottom, where the louvers are, some sort of label heated onto the surface. The defrost coil was immediately to the inside of the cover, probably makes sense. I don't believe all of the louvers were covered. Backyard Farmer

Reply to
backyard farmer

It may be ice up inside. If the partially thawed, then re-froze. there could have been excessive moisture that is now frozen and blocking the coils inside or the fan.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

For years, my mother had trouble with her Crosley? Refigerator Freezer with automatic defrosting. Finally, the last year we had the thing, I figured out that she was supposed to set the clock for what time it was then, and the defrosting would happen at 3 or 4 in the morning. Instead she kept setting the time for when she wanted it to defrost, which was 3 or 4 in the morning. So I guess it defrosted at whatever time she set the time.

It actually had heaters in the freezer walls to melt the frost, which went to the pan at the bottom and evaporated, and this was made in

1957 or so. Worked fine except for that timing problem.

mm