Recommendations for a generator?

Nope, I run them all simultaneously, for days at a time. No problem with a Honda EU2000. When you can't buy gas during a power outage, you will envy your neighbor.

Reply to
Toller

Fortunately, living 65 miles from nearest coast, we don't get hurricanes that knock out everything, i.e. I've never seen the gas stations off line. We all know the gas lines in Florida were not for cars, but for generators.

Our problem is living off a valley with old tree lined roads and cut back in tree trimming by power company to save money. Plus the conglomerate company is in no rush to restore power. Day outage that prompted me to buy generator was when Atlantic City Electric came to restore service - two hour drive to get here. We have never had as many outages as in recent years and they last longer. Homeowners forced to buy generators.

Frank

Reply to
Frank

hey area outage means n more gasoline, florida gas stations have been forced to add generators so they can pump gas during a outage. state law. good move.

when terrorists hit gasoline will be like gold

Reply to
hallerb

Call it "Belt & Suspenders."

I KNEW for a fact that my new ground was properly installed.

Reply to
John Gilmer

I had a drum pump with several pipe extensions and a foot valve to pump gasoline from the underground tanks at powerless gas stations. I didn't have it after hurricane Isabelle came through though because the first gas station I went to bought it from me for twice what it cost me to make up and provided my gasoline for free.

Reply to
Member, Takoma Park Volunteer

In 91 I was without power for 12 days because of an ice storm. I had to drive 45 miles to buy gas. It happens, and when it does...

Reply to
Toller

I would recommend either getting the Generac Quietpact 55-G (5500W) or the Honda EU3000is (2800W). The Generac is actually built for RV use, but is relatively quiet and should work well for emergency home use also. Both of them cost about $2000.00. I have the Honda EU3000is and I'm very happy with it.

If you don't care about noise and you don't want to spend that much money then I would buy something like the Generac 5550 WheelHouse ($700).

mgkelson

Wow .... Are you sure your CO detector was not defective? It seems sort of a dangerous thing to do run a generator in a garage.

Reply to
sacstinkytiger

There is this rather good webpage about generators ....

by a guy called Steve Dunlop which may be useful. I considered a Honda Generator but in the end ended up with a bigger Onan one.

Best, Mike.

Reply to
sacstinkytiger