Recommendations for a generator?

Page 2 of 2

How about spending the money on a modern solar array on your roof. You'll never have to depend 100% on the energy company anymore, in addition the extra juice gets put into the electrical grid that can make you money!
Tom
Abe wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Missed the "Pacific NW" part, didja? :-)
On a more serious note, though, a generator is a *lot* cheaper than a solar array with an equivalent output. And a generator works in cloudy weather, and at night.

--
Regards,
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Because solar power is insufficient, unavailable for half the time, and so expensive you will never recoup the investment.

For those values of "solar power" that mean "solar electric". Direct-use solar is cost effective, suffering only from limited availability.
Exactly how often will you be using this generator?
We lived off of ours for 2 weeks (Honda 3500). A freak storm domino-ed the power poles on our street, for like 2 miles and even with crews working around the clock it took a long time to get power back. One thing to keep in mind is feeding it, it easily used 5 gal of gas per day, probably more, likely I am understating this. The power company had crews fueling everyones generator, at no cost, around the clock, you might not be so fortunate. If I was buying again it would be diesel, much better run time per tank. It was around memorial day, so no heating was needed or A/C for that matter. I was able to run 2 full sized double door refrigerators, a chest freezer, a few lights a couple of box fans, and occasionally we booted up the computer to check email and just get an internet fix. I would power down a refrigerator or 2 for that. We just used extension cords for all that, but a hard wire is possible, you just need a way to insure the main is off to be legal not to mention safe. The power company collected all the meters, so I could have hard wired, but I took that as an opportunity to upgrade my main panel to 200 amp.
You're much better off to run the furnace (typically about 800 watts) than a couple space heaters (1500 watts each). The furnace heats the entire house, the space heaters maybe a room, if you're lucky. Gasoline will be unavailable until the power comes back. The furnace will also use less gas than the space heater. An electrician, or a HVAC guy can show you how to wire a generator into the furnace. Just needs an electrical cord cut off something or other, a screw driver, and a couple wire nuts.
Any brand of generator will work several dozen times. Honda has a reputation of being the quietest, and longest lasting and most dependable. If you're comfortable with mixing gas and oil, you can get a small two cycle generator off Ebay for about $150 or so. I bought an ETQ, and it runs a 700 watt toaster with no problem at all. That was my test, for the generator. See if I could run a toaster. Should run a furnace.
My Dad's Coleman 5,000 watt is noisy enough to need ear plugs if you're standing next to it for more than a minute or two. The ETQ, I could tell it was running, but it really amazed me how quiet. Hondas also tend to be very very quiet.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
Abe wrote:

I would recommend either getting the Generac Quietpact 55-G (5500W) or the Honda EU3000is (2800W). The Generac is actually built for RV use, but is relatively quiet and should work well for emergency home use also. Both of them cost about $2000.00. I have the Honda EU3000is and I'm very happy with it.
If you don't care about noise and you don't want to spend that much money then I would buy something like the Generac 5550 WheelHouse ($700).
http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/gensup.asp http://www.guardiangenerators.com/PublicPDFs/0E1015.pdf http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4581
Abe wrote:

There is this rather good webpage about generators ....
http://www.1stconnect.com/anozira/SiteTops/energy/generatorFAQ.htm
by a guy called Steve Dunlop which may be useful. I considered a Honda Generator but in the end ended up with a bigger Onan one.
Best, Mike.