Range clock - Disconnect it!

Page 12 of 12
Jeff wrote:

The word used was "sell" in all reporting I saw...

Market forces will direct--if allowed.
dpb wrote:

They might do better by just quietly turning off the lights in the plant and forgetting they ever offered such a stupid vehicle for non military use.

George wrote: ...

And how would that be better for GM, precisely?
dpb wrote:

Right you are.
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-autosales4-2008jun04,0,2133975.story
"At this point, we are considering all options for the Hummer brand," Wagoner said. "Everything from a complete revamp of the product lineup to partial or complete sale of the brand."
No possible buyer has been named for the division, which was for a few years -- when gasoline cost less than $3 a gallon -- one of GM's strongest. Last week, GM stock hit a 26-year low, falling to $17.38. At 11:15 this morning, the stock was unchanged at $17.43.

Of course.
But, have you not noticed the destruction wrought? The lack of any standards or accountability for securitizing sub prime loans springs immediately to mind. That little fiasco is going to dwarf the S&L cleanup in scope.
It also seems likely that if the government had pushed SUVs with the 100% write down on up to $100K that that little bubble wouldn't be bursting so large now.
Capital markets benefit by sensible regulation. '29 springs to mind. Thats why post credit meltdown, that the Fed is now inside all the large investment banks, watching...

Jeff
Jeff wrote:

The key word here is "sensible". Most of what I hear isn't...
Jeff wrote:

A buddy and I went to the New York car show earlier this year and GMs entire focus was on big, piggy fluffed up trucks. We asked their representative if he didn't feel silly offering such vehicles and he told us that GM had made big investments into alternative energy and $1/gallon fuel from recycled tires was coming soon...

George wrote:

Hmmm, I wonder how many miles you can get on a set of Hummer ties?
Jeff

George wrote:

I think they're closing four, but out of how many?
I still think the answer is treadmills in prisons. :-)
This may seem extreme to most of us living on the grid but if one were to be living off the grid maybe using solar and batteries, this kind of stuff makes a measurable difference. For that matter if you have a gas range and it only needs 110V, you could put it on a wall switch and avoid modifying the range.
I can't imagine the OP with an electric range but for some reason he evidently does. For newer ranges with electronic controls, this would not be possible as the clock is integrated into all the controls.

And sometimes has to be reset if/when a power glitch occurs. Darn it! Up til now, and noting that 'modern stoves' are almost impossible to buy without an 'electronic-digital clock/timer' have been able to survive, from 1956 to the present, using a series of new and used (usually donated free) kitchen cooking stoves. However have kept a couple of old-fashioned electromechanical clocks from scrapped stoves so as to have on hand if/when it becomes necessary to acquire an electronic clock model! Advantage of the older clocks is even if the power goes off for a few minutes, the clock restarts by itself and the roast is not left uncooked or the cake in the oven is not spoiled. Then when next one notices just adjust the clock time if using it as a time piece is important. And yes; in a school and church hall cafeteria the stove clock timer was frequently being bumped by cooking pots on the top of the stove, oven stopped working causing frequent calls for assistance. Usually myself! So disconnected it!