Range clock - Disconnect it!

Page 2 of 12

Thats a completely trivial amount of power compared with whats plugged into it.

Try a year or so.
in part:

If the pilot lamp is a neon lamp of C2A/NE-2H or A1C or similar type, the power consumption of the neon lamp and its associated dropping resistor (for 120 volts AC) is usually around 1/3 watt.
I don't remember too clearly what I found in terms of current and power numbers for one with an LED pilot lamp, though I do think that .4 watt sounds about right. This can be halved with noticeably increased LED light output if an LED costing a few cents more and much more efficient is used.

It appears to me that the USA national average is about 11 cents per KWH, maybe now closer to 12, and at least will be 12 soon.
1/3 watt at 12 cents per KWH for 1 year costs about 35 cents per year.
An InGaN green LED that gets plenty bright at half a milliamp (.06 watt at 120 VAC including dropping resistor losses), plus dropping resistor and bridge rectifier, in production quantities may cost 15 cents more than the neon lamp. Add some more for likely a little circuit board and assembly. I guess the retail cost goes up a couple bucks, maybe just one buck should they sell by millions, to save about 30 cents a year (plus however electricity rates inflate in the future).
I would buy them at that rate. Sadly, too many people won't even spend extra up front two years' worth of electricity savings for a more efficient model when shopping for refrigerators!
Bill wrote:

If you can even measure the difference...
And, of course, by disconnecting the range clock you've also disabled the auto-on/off feature...
As an aside, it would seem quite unusual for a wall-sourced electric clock to not be pretty accurate since grid frequency is normally pretty precise. --

The clock in our old range stopped working 10 years ago but it was still right twice a day. New range has no clock, no electronics, no circuit board, just plenty of power to cook with. www.bertazzoni-italia.com We got the black 30"
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

OTOH, the clock in our (roughly 25 yr old) range still functions as accurately as any in the house (including the electric which dates from 1948 when we first got grid REA power). I'm quite certain my wife would not do w/o the auto-start feature and am even more certain she'd never accept black. :)

I'm quite certain my wife would

Interesting. I've never used an auto-start in my life, and have no idea why anyone would ever want to, and all my appliance are black :)
h wrote:

Hi, Why not? Don't like the convenience? You or your better wife stays home ll the time?
Tony Hwang wrote:

What convenience? I can think of very few things you'd cook in an oven that could sit un-refrigerated half the day before the oven turned on, and not give you food poisoning. Timed start is a feature looking for a problem, timed shut off does have some utility however.

Black and SS. They have 7 other colors too. The paint is applied at the same place that Lamborghinis and Ferraris are painted. Same quality too.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Happy for them, I guess...never make it here, though... :)

Very nice. How/why did you decide on this instead of Blue Star, Viking, or Wolf? FYI, my sister selected Wolf because she felt it would be easier to clean than Viking (don't think she looked at Blue Star).

Never looked at Blue Star. One reason was price. $2500 versus $4200. Bertazzoni has a more direct distribution system, thus a lower cost. In my case, we have propane. The serviceman for the propane says Wolf can be difficult to get setup right. One place had a Jenn-Air on the floor that listed for $3900. Looked like a $900 range that they tacked on some fancy grates and big price tag.
I had never heard of the brand before, but they have been in business for over 125 years, still family owned. They are family new to the US and I suspect that is another reason for the price as they want to build market share. We though tit was a good value and we really liked the styling.

I disconnected only my clock (it was noisy) so the oven light would still work.

No they cant.

And if you dont have a clue about the cost of the electricity it uses.

But if you use electricity for cooking, hot water and house heating, those uses will completely swamp the use by stuff like the range clock.
On 6/1/2008 11:59 AM Rod Speed spake thus:

Yes, they can, and do.
Haven't you noticed that even the power companies themselves (like PG&E here) are running ad campaigns advising people to get rid of all those "phantom" electricity users?
A guy here at UC Berkeley has done research showing that all these things--wall warts, devices that power LEDs, etc.--use a trememdous amount of electricity when added up.
conversation with the average voter.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Hmmm, No kidding! But if the clock is disconnected can't do timed use of oven!
Tony Hwang wrote:

How many people use the timer on an oven? What kinds of food can you leave in an oven for many hours without it going bad on you?
Anthony
Anthony Matonak wrote:

I don't believe ovens have had delayed start for a long time due to safety reasons but most have cooking length timers. We use ours all of the time mainly as a reminder when to remove the food. But it wouldn't be a major deal if it didn't have a timer because there are lots of inexpensive windup or electronic timers that could be substituted.
George wrote:

Hi, Electronic timer uses energy as well as spring wound ones. Every thing in this world either produces or uses energy!

You never met my grandson