Rain Bird Maxi-paw

I have one of these where the swing arm ain't swingin' so it just sprays out water and doesn't move around. Any suggestions for fixing it?
and name it after the IRS.

Something could be binding it. You are better off just getting a replacement. Its usually about $16-$20 in HD,Lowes or Ace. You will need the special Rain-Bird wrench to remove it.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

RainBird's website has info, but it looks like you might need an engineering degree:
http://rainbird.com/homeowner/support/impacts.htm# http://rainbird.com/documents/diy/man_AG5_Maxipaw.pdf
The second link is a pdf of instructions, depending on size of nozzle. Also has an 800 number :o)

Thanks. That was one of the reasons I asked here. Thought maybe someone would be able to translate. (grin). Thanks for trying.
and name it after the IRS.

Short answer: Take off the top & suck any debris with a shop vac. Remove any grass, etc from housing. Give it a try. If it still doesn't work, try moving the spring restraint point to make less spring force (ie unwind the spring, a notch)
Long Answer:
A house I used to own had Max-Paws for lawn sprinklers. At one point, units started to "fail" (exhibit pop-up behavior but wouldn't swing, advance or return). I found, at least in my yard, that grass growing into the housing, accumulated dirt & silt or corrosion of the weights were often the cause.

The way I fixed them was to remove the sprinkler cover by using needle nose to remove the little "keeper plug". Taking the cover off gave access for cleaning the interior of the sprinkler housing. I used a wet/dry vac to suck out the dirt. I alternated between pulling the grass (bermuda & fescue) & cleaning with the shop vac to remove dirt.
With the cleaning done, I would test them. If the unit didn't work, I replaced it. (about 20%) If they worked, I recorded the date & location of the "repair". If the same unit "failed" again within a short time, I replaced it. (about 20%)
I found that about 60% of the units, when cleaned, would work just fine for a long time.
cheers Bob
Impact sprinklers are totally serviceable in the field. If a foreign lubricant has been used, or if the sprinkler is just worn out from years of use, most parts are available and it is totally serviceable! By simply replacing worn parts (usually washers, seals, and springs) the sprinkler will be in operation for several more years of reliable service.
Troubleshooting First check for the obvious. Problems such as:
✻ turf obstruction ✻ broken arms, trips, etc. ✻ dirt or debris in case or nozzle ✻ foreign lubricants ✻ excessive water pressure ✻ inadequate water pressure
this site seems to reinforce my experience http://www.irrigationtutorials.com/reviews/rotor/rainbirdmaxipaw.htm
Rainbird Maxi-Paw® Pop-Up Impact Rotor Description:
The Maxi-Paw is an upgraded Mini-Paw rotor head. Unlike the Mini-Paw, the Maxi-Paw has a decent selection of available nozzles, which allows for better system design. The professional version (2045A) has 7 nozzles, the retail model has 5 (the low-angle LA nozzles are not included). Features include a 3 year warranty, stainless steel retraction spring, a heavy duty plastic case, 3" pop-up (for lid, the nozzle is only about 1 1/2" high), optional side inlet, full or part- circle operation, screen filter, wiper seal on internal riser, and adjustable arm spring tension. Like all "mouse-traps" (the industry term for pop-up impacts) the Maxi-Paw tends to trap debris inside the case, and aggressive grasses like Bermuda wrap themselves up in the mechanism causing the sprinkler to fail. I would consider this a high maintenance sprinkler, and expect to clean out the cases at least twice a year. My experience is that the Maxi-Paw outlasts the Mini- Paw. I seldom use this sprinkler head due to the high maintenance required, but I would certainly favor it over the Mini-Paw! If you really must use a mouse-trap, this is a decent one. Model Numbers:
* 2045A * AG-5