Sheet Rock in an Outbuilding?

I was going to use osb in my well house/shop but it is up to $14.45 a sheet. I can put in sheet rock for less than 1/2. Question: Will sheet rock be ok in an unheated outbuilding?

Thanks,

Reply to
Robert Olin

Given that environment you might find metal panels more suitable. They are getting some sales traction in the box stores, so check prices.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

That is what is in my garage with no problems. It is ground gypsum mostly. I put a coat of primer on it but never put a finish coat. Probably never will. Oh, I did not tape and mud it either.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Usually not recommended due to temp/humidity swings and the resulting condensation. Even if it doesn't get wet to the touch, it can still soak up moisture. Unless your well house/shop has stable humidity, the rock will be prone to getting funky and soft after a year or three. The exception would be arid climates, where nothing rots.

Like the other guy said, I'd recommend the stuff that they sell to line pole barns with, even in preference to OSB, which likes to get fuzzy if unfinished and damp, and sometimes has outgassing problems. Or even the plastic-coated OSB they sell to skin cheap sheds with. Gotta look at the long term, even if you have to put off the work awhile until you can save up. No point in saving money now, if it costs you time and money to rip it out and redo it in a few years.

Reply to
aemeijers

"aemeijers" wrote

Perhaps, but the climate in the detached garage is the same as my house except during heating season. YMMV

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I was thinking about sheet rock without spackling, I wonder if my insurance company would let it slide. Since I have fiberglass insulation which states it must be covered to prevent fire.

Reply to
Tony

That's what sheetrock is for - to suppess fires. As it heats, it release a BUNCH of water.

That said, what's this business about fiberglass being protected from fire?

Reply to
HeyBub

HeyBub wrote: ...

Faced, undoubtedly; the facing isn't fire-safe.

--

Reply to
dpb

I forgot to mention the paper vapor barrier. It must be covered. I'm just wondering if they care if all the gaps are filled so fire can't easily get behind the sheetrock.

Reply to
Tony