Fridge freezer to use in an outbuilding?

Hi
We put our old fridge/freezer in to an outside coal shed as an overflow fridge and freezer. Unfortunately, the freezer compartment isn't freezing, although the fridge works just fine.
When looking online to buy a replacement, we noticed that all the fridge/freezers we looked at say that they are not suitable for use in outbuildings.
Can anybody recommend a fridge freezer that is suitable for use outside and doesn't cost the earth?
Regards, Mark

I don't know why they wouldn't be suitable for use in outbuildings but if it's true, then it must only be the newer ones so my solution would be to buy a second-hand, older one. We bought one out of our local paper for 50 because I wanted a beer fridge in the shed and my missus gets the freezer section :o) Four years on and it's still going strong.
Mogweed.
Mogweed wrote:

Because they only have a thermostat on the fridge. If the outhouse is at approx-fridge temperature then the little gnome inside thinks "cold enough!" and stops pedalling the compressor. Meanwhile, because the compressor doesn't run, the freezer isn't being frozen and all the yummy home-made pineapple and ginger ice-cream melts over the half-pig on the shelf below.
If you put such apparatus in a nice warm room the little gnome pedals the compressor until the fridge is cold enough. By happy coincidence this makes the freezer cold enough too.

It's the built-down-to-a-budget ones, which probably means the newer ones.
Owain

Bastard! Now I've got to think about how to make some without an ice-cream maker.
--
Skipweasel
| |> pineapple and ginger ice-cream | |Bastard! Now I've got to think about how to make some without an |ice-cream maker.
Yes excellent idea, I am a foodie as well. Google gives *only* two pages for "pineapple and ginger ice-cream "
Off the top of my head imagining what it would taste like. 4 oz Raw pineapple cut into 1/8ins cubes, dry off juice on kitchen towel. 4 oz candied ginger pieces from the supermarket, chop up to 1/8 cubes. Standard non machine vanilla Ice cream recipe, http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/vanillaicecream_4616.shtml *few* drops of vanilla essence will do in place of vanilla pods. Not a lot because I want the base ice cream to be blander than vanilla ice cream
Mix together and put in freezer proof bowl, put in freezer Actually this should be better than using a machine because the machine would mash up the pieces of ginger and pineapple. I what them left as they are I want the taste to go *bang* pineapple, *bang* ginger.
Please report if you make it before me.
--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk> Google Groups is IME the *worst*

Yup - pretty well what I had in mind. Brown sugar might make it taste nice, too. I reckon you'll have to squeeze the pineapple quite dry 'cos otherwise it'll freeze into very solid icebergs.
--
Skipweasel
Dave Fawthrop wrote:

Damn! I thought I'd invented it.

I had some pineapple juice left over from pudding yesterday and added it to the glass of ginger beer, and was rather pleased with the result. Thought it would make nice ice-cream - or fudge. The tartness of the pineapple would offset the sugary sweetness nicely, I thought, and the ginger add a bit of spicy warmth.

Or ginger wine?

*bang* pineapple, *bang* ginger, *bang* hit the floor, too much ginger wine.
Owain [x-posting ukfdm added]

Oooh, that's behind the last bottle of sloe gin. Must remember to make some more this year.
--
Skipweasel
contains these words:

My cousin used to make it, but we have lost touch, and I'd like to make some, how do you do it?
Alan

Two bottles of gin, one empty bottle. remove a third of each bottle and put it in the third so you now have three 2/3 full bottles.
Pick sloes - wash off bird turds if that sort of thing bothers you.
Prick sloes - traditionally with a blackthorn thorn, but I find slashing them with a quick-un-pick or small knife works well[1].
Add sloes to 5/6 full, then add sugar to make up the rest of the volume.
Shake and store. Every few weeks shake gently (the bottles, not with anticipation).
After about six months, drink with great pleasure.
[1] Some people say freezing them works, but I've tried a batch like that using the same gin and same year's sloes as the rest, but it wasn't as good - the colour and flavour were considerably reduced.
--
Skipweasel

Now, if Alan had asked this last week, I could've taken a few blackthorn plants down to London with me. Well, I _did_ but they were for my son's garden...I could've taken some more, though!
--
AnneJ

How long has Usenet been a front end to Google?
--
"Other people are not your property."
contains these words:

My grandparents were well known for their sloe gin and they used to send me out sloe picking - bloody miserable job. Their recipe was very simple: Put one cup of sloes (each one pricked) into an empty gin bottle followed by one cup of sugar. Fill the bottle with gin, cap and lay them down somewhere safe:-) Shake briefly every day (briefly invert the bottle) until the sugar has dissolved. Leave for 6- 9 months. Grandfather used to make about a dozen bottles and my Grandmother made another dozen that he didn't know about:-) They were all given away as gifts.
One year I found what I thought were really prime specimens and soon filled my basket. They were small, wild plums (bullaces) that my Gps palmed off on Uncle Cecil who reckoned that it made the best "sloe" gin he'd ever had. He enthused about it for years afterwards. Graham

We often give people a Christmas pud and a bottle of sloe gin for Christmas. You can give them the same thing year after year and they keep coming back for more.
--
Skipweasel
On Sat, 20 May 2006 15:57:09 +0100 someone who may be Owain

Some fridge freezers have a switch inside which can be switched on in cold conditions. What it does in engineering terms I have no idea, but they keep the freezer frozen and do not turn the fridge into a freezer.
--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Mogweed wrote:

Some freezers and fridge/freezers now need a minimum ambient temperature well above freezing. I was caught by this a year ago when I bought one for our unheated utility room behind the garage. I rather think this particularly applies to fridge/freezers with only one compressor.
Read the manual properly before buying.
I think the problem of fridge working and freezer not may be a failure symptom of such a fridge/freezer.
Edgar
On Sat, 20 May 2006 15:20:06 +0100, Mogweed wrote:

Do a google on "climate class fridge", bottom of the fourth hit. Fridges/freezers are designed to operate over given ambient temperature range. Outside that range they might not be able to maintain the required internal temperatures (too cold or too warm).
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

During the summer there won't be a problem, they only fall down in the winter when the ambient temperature is so low that the fridge bit doesn't get cold enough to switch the compressor on. The freezing compartment doesn't have its own thermostat.
There are systems out there with thermostats in both bits, but that's not what's causing your problems at the moment.
--
Skipweasel