Rabbits galore

Page 2 of 3
Walter R. wrote:

Might as well build a hot-house. Rabbits can breed faster than you can kill them.

I don't know about breeding alone, but combined with walking from "over there" to "over here", you're pretty much looking at a lost battle. -----
- gpsman

Everyone on the eastern side of the US, including me, is seeing more rabbits this year than in years past. Mother Nature has given them something special in their lives - probably Al Gore & global warming.
Red wrote: ...

I suspect "everyone" is perhaps an exaggeration, but... :)
My supposition would be the breaking of the worst of the moderate to severe drought conditions across a great portion of the country east of the Mississippi has had more to do with it than anything--they, like all wild critters breed to the available conditions. We were across to Raleigh a month or so ago and it's greenest from Arkansas all the way east I've seen in many a year -- since a year or so after we moved, in fact, I'd say...
While not such a major effect back there, out here the amount of widespread hail during and shortly after nesting season has a major impact on the yearly quail/pheasant populations and somewhat lesser effect on rabbits, etc., but certainly not inconsequential.
Walter R. wrote:

However many T-section fence posts and rolls of chicken wire you need to enclose the garden. Rabbits can't climb fences, but they can dig, so cut a slit in the sod to hold the bottom six inches or so. The shine on the chicken wire goes away pretty fast, and you can barely see the fence.
-- aem sends...

you can buy 9mm air rifles that definitely kill them. your ordinary BB gun will not.

carcasses will attract other animals.

what's gasoline got to do with rabbit traps???

somebody else might. They taste good fried or in a stew.

it's not "desperation",it's practicality and not being wasteful. Think of it as "recycling".
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

9mm?? That's a standard firearm round. What kind of air supply does one need to shoot that thru an air rifle?
Red

9mm?? That's a standard firearm round. What kind of air supply does one need to shoot that thru an air rifle?
Red
Yeah, I'd like to see one of those. Does it require an air hose with a heavy duty compressor?
Steve

BB's- not likely. But hollow point, .17caliber pellets at 750fps are sufficient up to 150feet or so.

Here's one that took a hand pump- http://lewis-clark.org/content/content-channel.asp?ChannelID00
51 caliber, 20 shot magazine, buttstock reservoir and a hand pump.
The pump took 2000pumps to create 1000psi.
Or the modern version- 457caliber- filled from scuba tanks. http://vodpod.com/sniper99 See the chronograph video for the foot-pounds, velocity, and a look at the 510gr bullet; http://vodpod.com/watch/45447-daqsamyang-wmv?pod=sniper99
Here's where sniper99 got his DAQ; http://www.quackenbushairguns.com /
Jim
Damn retards have to shoot everything. Go shoot yourself in the head.
SteveB wrote:

Pre-Charged Pneumatic, or PCP guns.
Fill with a scuba tank, or use the hand pump if you are man enough. Stop at ~3000 psi.
These large caliber air guns have been around for centuries. German sharpshooters used them in the unpleasantries in the British colonies ca. 1776. Lewis & Clark had one with them. They took deer with it, amazed some India]D]D]D] Native Americans. with it.

http://www.airgunsbbguns.com/CAREER_707_9mm_ULTRA_p/ca7079mmultra1s.htm 77gr at 900fps. ~138 ft-lbs muzzle energy. the bullet is lighter than a .380 auto(9x17 or 9mm short) bullet.
moreinfo; http://air.guns.20megsfree.com /
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Sounds more like a deer rifle to me. The noise alone would eliminate from contention for the OP.
A .177cal springer that shoots over 700fps will take care of rabbits in a garden. [jackrabbits in the desert might be fun with the above gun, though] And then the op is looking at $100, rather than $600.
Jim

I have a $20 Chinese .177 break-barrel air rifle that's accurate enough to shoot rabbits. The sights fell apart but other than that it's OK. I just put a cheap scope on it. They *said* it's 1000 fps but personally I think it's probably closer to 700.

They seem to be popular in countries such as Australia where everyone can't just go buy a regular gun.

they have their own tank/reservoir.Prefilled.

either hand pump or scuba tank. 2900 PSI or more.

Precharged Pneumatic(PCP)
http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/model.pl?model_id07 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_gun
Custom air gun manufacturers regularly produce air rifles in common muzzle loading rifle calibers too, such as .45" (11.25 mm), .50" (12.5 mm), .58" (14.5 mm) and larger.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

[...]
If you're anywhere near Indianapolis, I will be happy to take all the fresh rabbit carcasses you can give me. I think rabbit is very tasty. We used to live in a rural area about 15 miles outside Indianapolis, and I hunted our property regularly. Haven't had a taste of wild rabbit since we moved to the city ten years ago, and I miss it.
On Jun 24, 10:01pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:
xample.com> wrote:

My father in law put chicken wire around the bottom of his fence to keep them out. When this didnt work he cut openings in the chicken wire with traps behind the openings. I ate rabbit stew at his house more than a few times.
Jimmie

We have a lot this year. We put wire around the garden and planted areas, and we just stand back and watch them. The grandkids get a kick out of them, too. We go to the local grocers and get boxes of lettuce and stuff for them to munch. Controlling rabbits is just like trying to control dust.
Steve