Rabbits galore

If the fence isn't installed by a blithering idiot, it'll be sunk far enough to keep out a rabbit.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Get a cat.

"Walter R." wrote in news:h1u1ts$grt$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Fisher Cat.

Hunting and diet

Fishers are solitary hunters. Their primary prey include hares, rabbits, squirrels, mice, shrews, porcupines and sometimes domesticated animals.

When I was in Vermont, one moved into our wooded development one year. All rabbits and squirrels disappeard. Fisher moved on to another area and reappeared when population started to pick up again. Cleaned up some other part and came back I guess.

Nope, no idea how to get one into your area but it WOULD solve your problem 100% guaranteed. Maybe your local Game person can help. And maybe they will tell you if you touch one in any way your fine will be 10x your medical bills when that wad of teeth and claws tears into you.

Reply to
Red Green

I don't know about breeding alone, but combined with walking from "over there" to "over here", you're pretty much looking at a lost battle. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

A 22 caliber rifle firing rat shot won't make much noise and it can kill a rabbit. It makes a little poof sound.

Reply to
Sea Dog

snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in news:fQA0m.1515$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi064.nbdc.sbc.com:

you -bury- the bottom foot of the fencing.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

9mm?? That's a standard firearm round. What kind of air supply does one need to shoot that thru an air rifle?

Red

Reply to
Red

CB subsonic caps are better. 718 fps muzzle velocity.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

9mm?? That's a standard firearm round. What kind of air supply does one need to shoot that thru an air rifle?

Red

Yeah, I'd like to see one of those. Does it require an air hose with a heavy duty compressor?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Won't work - at least according to the Secretary of Homeland Security.

She is on record as saying "Build a 15-foot fence and I'll show you a rabbit that can dig a 16-foot hole."

Or something like that - she goes on to discuss mayonnaise if I recall correctly.

Reply to
HeyBub

BB's- not likely. But hollow point, .17caliber pellets at 750fps are sufficient up to 150feet or so.

Here's one that took a hand pump-

51 caliber, 20 shot magazine, buttstock reservoir and a hand pump.

The pump took 2000pumps to create 1000psi.

Or the modern version-

457caliber- filled from scuba tanks.
the chronograph video for the foot-pounds, velocity, and a look at the 510gr bullet;
Here's where sniper99 got his DAQ;
Jim
Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Pre-Charged Pneumatic, or PCP guns.

Fill with a scuba tank, or use the hand pump if you are man enough. Stop at ~3000 psi.

These large caliber air guns have been around for centuries. German sharpshooters used them in the unpleasantries in the British colonies ca. 1776. Lewis & Clark had one with them. They took deer with it, amazed some India]D]D]D] Native Americans. with it.

Reply to
RB

"SteveB" wrote in news:8uech6- snipped-for-privacy@news.infowest.com:

at 900fps. ~138 ft-lbs muzzle energy. the bullet is lighter than a .380 auto(9x17 or 9mm short) bullet.

moreinfo;

Jim Yanik

-snip-

Sounds more like a deer rifle to me. The noise alone would eliminate from contention for the OP.

A .177cal springer that shoots over 700fps will take care of rabbits in a garden. [jackrabbits in the desert might be fun with the above gun, though] And then the op is looking at $100, rather than $600.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Damn retards have to shoot everything. Go shoot yourself in the head.

Reply to
Stepfann King

on 6/24/2009 4:22 PM (ET) Walter R. wrote the following:

Do you live next door to this woman?

willshak

willshak wrote in news:McWdnYdrB9SWNdnXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com:

"Ranger said she found no rabbits when she finally got inside but did find a half-empty 10-pound bag of carrots. "

a-ha ha ha ha.

Reply to
TD

I'm trying to grow tomatoes in pots. The pots are tall enough so that a rabbit can't reach the plants standing on it's hind legs. The pots are tightly surrounded by chicken wire that is closed at the top. There are no openings bigger than the chicken wire openings. It is electrified by an electric fence gizmo. Something is still eating my new plants. I didn't even suspect the squirrels. Now I'm suspecting mice.

I was trying to grow some grass for my dog to roll around in. The rabbits kept eating the new sprouts all the way to the ground. I shot one from about 50' in the rear thigh with a BB gun pumped only three times. It died. I was just trying to scare it away. I suspect a pellet gun would be more than adequate. Last year the rabbits ate my tomato plants. Instead of eating the leaves or tomatoes they chew off the main stalk at ground level, thus destroying their food supply. I think the tomato plants are smarter than the rabbits.

Reply to
Ulysses

They seem to be popular in countries such as Australia where everyone can't just go buy a regular gun.

Reply to
Ulysses

I have a $20 Chinese .177 break-barrel air rifle that's accurate enough to shoot rabbits. The sights fell apart but other than that it's OK. I just put a cheap scope on it. They *said* it's 1000 fps but personally I think it's probably closer to 700.

Reply to
Ulysses