Help, Rabbits!!!!

Is there anyway to get them out of my yard. I don't want to harm them, just have them go away...Thanks

Reply to
Kipper

Rabbits will not harm your yard. They are unlikely to harm your kids. They like broadleaf plants, so they could potentially harm your garden. They place their burrow in a protected area such as under a large shrub or on the edge of a wooded area. I generally place a fence between such an area and my garden. Since the rabbits can easily jump a fairly tall fence, I provide something outside the fence to satisfy them. I use clover in the lawn. It benefits the lawn and keeps the rabbits out of the crops.

Kipper wrote:

Reply to
dps

They will, however, harm your small trees if you plant some. They have eaten some small peach trees I planted, some small dogwoods, some small walnuts, and a few others. It's really irritating after I went to all the work of digging the holes to plant the trees.

They can squeeze through fairly small holes in fences too. I've had several squeeze through the holes in my backyard fence and end up running into the dog. Unfortunately(for the rabbits) it takes them a while to squeeze back through the holes when trying to get out again. :/

Reply to
The Watcher

A professional gardner I know, now retired, was trained in Britain and ended up managing a 1000 acre park in BC.

He was pretty matter of fact about some things and one day while giving a tour to some garden fans a rabbit poked its head out from under a bush.

Without interupting the flow of his talk, he took the shovel in his hand, dispatched the rabbit with one blow, used the shovel to dig a small hole, toppled the carcass into it and covered it up.

I think he was amazed that some of the women at the back were swooning at what he took to be as routine a thing as swatting a mosquito..

I guess you could ask an Australian if rabbits should be dealt with this way ;-)

Reply to
Bill Spohn

"The Watcher" holes to plant the trees.

We have owls. Between the cats and the owls, the rabbit population is kept quite low.

Reply to
Vox Humana

get a dog. since we moved in and given the dogs the run of the yard, we've seen no more deer, no more rabbits, no squirrels, no moles, and no woodchucks.

the only downside is that the dogs love to lick the bonemeal out of the dirt.

-kelly

Reply to
culprit

A nice Rotty with an otherwise friendly disposition will do fine. Sherman.

Reply to
Sherman

try coyote urine. seriously. soak cotton swab with it and hang inside punched or drilled film canisters and hang them around your yard. the urine may be available in your area, even mail order.

Reply to
r h

There's not really any way to repel rabbits. You can protect plants with sturdy wire fencing (which must extend underground to prevent burrowing), but if there's something rabbits like about your yard, They Will Come.

Reply to
Frogleg

"Sherman" writes: >

I use liquid fence with great success. Available at lots of garden stores. Spray it once a month or so on areas to be protected.

Reply to
Will Renkel

I've not heard of this, I'll try to find some. thanks...

Reply to
Kipper