Purple PVC primer turned pink

This is the first time I have ever seen this happen. That purple primer for PVC pipe cement was in my garage for better than a year. I went to use it last week, and it turned pink in color. I still used it, the joint held together, but they usually stick together with just the cement too. However, I have always used all three, the cleaner, primer, and cement. That way I know I have a good joint. I dont understand the color change. I didn't get anything mixed into it. Has anyone else seen this happen? Any idea why?

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

purple primer and clear cleaner, are`nt they the same thing ?

never had pink ;)

Reply to
bumtracks

Settling? Give it a good shake.. Possibly part of the mix settled in the bottom and thickened up?

Never used it myself so these are just guesses.

Reply to
Noozer

Never saw it happen, because I never use the primer. It isn't necessary. For that matter, I never use the "PVC cleaner" either. Acetone does just as good a job, and costs about one-tenth as much. All you need to make a good joint is acetone, and PVC cement. Don't worry about the primer. You don't need it.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Advice like this can be counterproductive. I have never seen primer lose its purple.

Many inspectors consider primer as a bare minimum as do glue manufacturers and pvc manufacturers. The whole reason for the gawd awful purple color is for easy identification by inspectors, required in some codes.

Here: No Purple, no pass.

DanG