First time with PVC pipe

Always used copper in the past, so know nothing about pvc type pipes. I am looking to add an additional hot tape to a combi boiler. Thinking about pcv because of the location of the required tap. Before i would have cut and inserted a tee into the hot water pipe and then plumb in the new tap. What do i need for pvc, and how safe is it as i have heard stories from the past about the ends coming off.

Also what type of pcv pipe do i buy have been reading articals that state i need to use CPVC for hot water ???

Any help much appreciated

Reply to
Chris Crinkle

In article , Chris Crinkle writes

There's nothing stopping you using standard compression fittings on plastic pipe provided you use the standard pipe reinforcement inserts that you're meant to use on any plastic joint. That will let you dip a toe without getting too concerned about the joints. If joining plastic to copper I always use brass compression fittigns as I want the joint to be at least as strong as the strongest pipe it is joining to.

I've used speedfit barrier pipe in the past and they state that it is fine for central heating use so also fine temperature wise for hot water. Hep2o is reputedly more flexible so better if you are doing a long run from a coil (speedfit is a bit of a bugger) and I'd be v surprised if anything in their stable is not suitable for hot water use. Use a coil of pipe if you are doing a long run to avoid joints (the main benefit of plas pipe) or use straight lengths for a short run or anything visible. Another tip is to insulate your pipe before feeding it through to save time.

Reply to
fred

fred had pretty much covered it.

The only time the ends fall off plastic push fitting is if you are a fool and use a hacksaw to cut the pipe, forget the plastic pipe insert or rebuild one with the grabbing teeth the wrong way around (don't ask, but it was not me)

Reply to
ARWadsworth