Where laminate meets door?

Question for you laminate or, I guess, any type of floor guys. Doing laminate in my hall. Good everywhere until I get to the end where it meets the garage door. There is a metal base drilled into the cement right under the door. It's about three inches high. The door closes right on top of it. What should I do here?

I can't cut the metal piece and go under.. Thought about butting the laminate right up against it but that doesn't look good. A transitional piece is my best option, I suppose, though it probably ain't perfect.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Matt

Reply to
buck16

Three inches high sounds quite high. Is this sort of a step up to the garage from the adjoining room? Fire door? In any case, I'd go close and then use a matching molding. The makers of the laminate probably have a trim strip (unless you are using the cheap stuff) that will work. If they don't have exactly what you want, it may be possible to cut a piece down and just use the part you want. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

On 12/19/2004 1:33 AM US(ET), buck16 took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

If the laminate is floating, there has to be a 1/4" gap around the perimeter to allow for expansion. Along the wall, the gap would be hidden by base and shoe moulding. Along something like you mention, the laminate Mfg. should have a matching moulding strip that is similar to moulding along the top of wainscotting, having a stepped backside. The thickest part of the moulding is secured to the floor and the laminate is able to move beneath the thinner part.

Reply to
willshak

My garage threshold was a pain as well. I removed the threshold and used a hacksaw to remove part of the interior metal. I slipped the flooring under the threshold and re sealed the threshold with new caulk and foam insulation. Used the same screws to hold in place.

Reply to
SQLit