Proper way to tap into a gas line

What is the proper way to tap into a gas line? I want to run a line out to my deck for my grill. I have access to all the gas lines around the furnace, etc.

I imagine that a shutoff valve at the split as well as a shutoff on the deck is necessary.

Reply to
larrybud2002

Art Todesco

What kind of gas line? LPG? NG?

First, run a proper gas diametric, using the right charts for the type of pipe you will use, and the pipe you have. Make sure you have the total BTU of the grill, as this will determine into the factor of the line size. Once you have done that, taking the distance, BTU, line type into consideration and sized your line correctly, then, after determining where you are going to tap into the line, and upsizing the feed to that point if needed, put you a T in, and as soon as you come off it find a good place to put your union if needed, and a 1.4 turn gas valve. Feed your line to your grille, and if you plan on buring the line, insure that you have the depth deep enough per your local code. Insure that if the lines buried, you have protected the pipe properly and then, when you turn up the line to your grill, if it was me, I would put a secondary valve as before, another union if needed AND a secondary regulator as many times it is the code to have one at the appliance. If its not needed, I would still do it in the rare case that your main regulator would fail, OR if you have a 2psi system it will be needed anyway. This is just insurance to prevent a flare up should you have a main failure....it can and does happen, altho it is very rare.

Main thing is to do it right. Protect yourself and your family, friends and neighbors. Nothing wrong with doing it yourself, but follow any codes, pull any permits and have it inspected should your area demand it by code. If it does, also please take the time to see if you will need to get a licenced pipefitter (read, NOT a plumber) to do the work.

Reply to
webmaster

thanks Turtle!

Reply to
larrybud2002

This is Turtle.

there is a high tech name for this device and it is a Coon Ass Gas Detector.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Just want to warn you that I have put two iron pipes out to my gas grill, and they have rusted way in about 2 years. I use propane now. However one of these days I am putting in K copper, which is acceptable here.

Reply to
toller

This is Turtle

Here is a help page you can get help and tippes and also a useage chart at the bottom of the page for what size pipe for what BTU you need and what each appliance will burn.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Whatever you use make sure you always use a match to test for leaks....

Reply to
Master

" snipped-for-privacy@carolinabreezehvac.com" wrote in message

Much god advice snipped.

The grill will also have to be taken off the wheels and bolted down permanently.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

When I worked for another fellow, we used to shut off the gas. Carefully lay out the job. Pick a section of pipe, and cut it in half with a sawzall. Wrench out both ends of the now sliced pipe, and start building from there.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Just want to warn you that I have put two iron pipes out to my gas grill, and they have rusted way in about 2 years. I use propane now. However one of these days I am putting in K copper, which is acceptable here.

Reply to
toller

Why not just use TracPipe it will not rust and is much easier to install than pipe or copper.

Reply to
calhoun