Propane rip-off

Page 6 of 9

It does if you leave the valve open!
The sun comes up, the sun goes down.
On Tue, 26 May 2009 06:21:58 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Propane tanks have a shutoff in the nozzle that cuts the gas off when you disconnect the regulator so they will only "breathe" if they are still hooked up to the grille and the burner is turned on. Try it

Maybe old tanks. The new ones have a valve that must be pushed open like the tire valve on your car.

You can see how well that works!
Ya gotta close the valve, dude. Otherwise, you can get air and moisture in the tank. That valve you are talking about is not intended to be the main shutoff, and it seals better in one direction that the other. That's why there is that big 'ole knob for you to turn on top. They aren't going to do an autopsy first to see if each individual tank actually has any moisture in it. If you come to get an empty tank filled with the valve wide open, you lose. Zip up your fly and tie your shoes while you're at it.
Sheesh.
on 5/26/2009 6:45 PM (ET) snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote the following:

...besides contributing to global warming, you will get cancer, diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, emphysema, male pattern baldness, and AIDS, too. See here: http://www.propane101.com/valveopennopropane.htm
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Guess again.

So here's my question:
Are the control valves on the grill itself any less efficient than the control valves on my kitchen stove?
In other words, do I really need to close the valve on the tank if the valves on the grill are closed?
Wouldn't that be akin to closing the gas valve to my kitchen stove in addition to turning off the valves to each burner?
On Wed, 27 May 2009 06:21:00 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

It depends on the quality of your grille. Is it U/L listed? Make sure that listing is for the grille, not just the regulator and hose (separate listing). The only grille I have ever had that did have a leaky burner valve was a cheap promo from one of the "marts". I put it out for the trash.
On Wed, 27 May 2009 06:21:00 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

is your kitchen stove fed by exposed rubber hoses?
On May 27, 11:43am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Yes, why? ;-)

Actually, you read what I write and interpret how I speak.
I never implied - nor meant to imply - that you weren't told what you said you were told. I simply stated that no entity has ever told me not to empty my tank before bringing it in to be refilled. In fact, I even said "assuming that when my grill flame goes out, the tank is empty" - meaning perhaps my tanks weren't empty so purging wasn't required.
I then asked what you were told - out of curiosity, not doubt - because, as I stated, I've had my tanks filled at numerous and varied places and the subject has never came up.

No, but when I was a teenager I had my nose surgically put back into place after someone used a belt buckle on it, and I've had my bicep tendon reattached to my elbow - just a few months ago in fact.
I'm glad you survived your heart attack.
wrote

Actually, you read what I write and interpret how I speak.
I never implied - nor meant to imply - that you weren't told what you said you were told. I simply stated that no entity has ever told me not to empty my tank before bringing it in to be refilled. In fact, I even said "assuming that when my grill flame goes out, the tank is empty" - meaning perhaps my tanks weren't empty so purging wasn't required.
I then asked what you were told - out of curiosity, not doubt - because, as I stated, I've had my tanks filled at numerous and varied places and the subject has never came up.

No, but when I was a teenager I had my nose surgically put back into place after someone used a belt buckle on it, and I've had my bicep tendon reattached to my elbow - just a few months ago in fact.
I'm glad you survived your heart attack.
*****
So, bottom line, it just depends on the geek behind the counter. When they were changing the tanks for OPDs, there was almost a no questions asked attitude. Other people here have stated, and I confess to taking in tanks that I knew were very old, yet they changed them out to get the repeat business. Then, I'm almost sure that you have run into the opposite side of the coin, wanting everything except a blood sample before they will refill your tank.
I vote with my money. I don't come back. And if it is an issue that I won't be back over, I am sure to let the manager know why.
YMMV
Steve

Your problem was not that you let the tank get empty. Your problem was that you foolishly left the valve open. That valve should be closed after EVERY use.

I have never taken a tank in that wasn't completely empty. I usually figure out I am out of gas when the grill stops working. I do shut the valve to keep it from "breathing" air into it from temperature changes but that is from my experience with SCUBA tanks and welding. I do try to leave a little pressure in those tanks if I can. They always charge you for a full tank there too, whether they are empty or half full.

With scuba, there's a difficulty in using a partial tank. Like you, I do try to use a tank until it just splutters, and then I change it. But sometimes I come out, and the flame is out completely, meaning there isn't enough in there to fill a BIC lighter.
Steve
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It was in today's paper. I did a tank exchange at HD a couple of weeks ago, "AmeriGas". Label clearly says, "net weight 15.0 lb". I did not notice this until the issue came up. Next time I'll be going to the guy that refills the tank on a scale and intend to pop off a complaint to the state ag. Only good thing about exchange was my tank looked like it was on its last legs.
snipped-for-privacy@State.DE.US
Easy to find. Just plug in your state and attorney general.
I told Delaware to aggressively pursue these crooks. I have enough sense to know that a single message is worthless but who knows if they get hundreds.
Frank
Frank wrote:

In Dallas the refill places went from 2.29 gal on 2/22 to 4.09 gal on 4/25. From $20 to $35 for two tanks, our BBQ might begin tasting a tad of yellow pine ;-)
Our tank opds shut off 4.3 - 4.6 gal.

An ad in today's Orlando Sentinel newspaper said 15 lbs. for Blue Rhino exchange.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Why would anyone want to take them in and exchange them in the first place? Take them to a refiller yourself and pocket the money.
Steve