Propane rip-off

Page 5 of 9
On Sat, 23 May 2009 19:39:29 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

No, it isn't. The filling of individual propane tanks at retail also involves labor, which is about the same regardless of how much gas you put in the tank.
People who might worry about this, have two tanks so they never need to get one filled that still has 5 pounds of gas in it.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

As has been mentioned elsewhere in the thread, the labor of full serve gasoline is about the same regardless of how much gas is put into the tank. Yet somehow, gasoline stations don't get away with charging a fixed full price for a partial fill.

Storing an extra full cylinder isn't always practical. The tanks can't be stored (safely) indoors and some places do not allow an extra tank to be stored outdoors or near a building. Storing an extra near a grill is a really bad idea as well.

Entirely different situation that has absolutely no bearing. ZILCH.

Now you are just being silly. :)
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Of course it does. Earlier in the thread somebody claimed that the propane industry is in the right for charging for a full tank even if only a fraction is pumped, due to the "labor cost" of having someone fill the tank. A full service gasoline station also incurs "labor cost" of having someone fill the tank, yet they still only charge for the amount of fuel dispensed.

often there's a higher charge for full-service. (they get you somewhere...) That's why there are few full service stations in the states that don't force it. I believe they even had to pass a law requiring one FS pump for handicapped people.(at least FL has one)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

Near me there are stations that only sell full service and are competitive with only self service. In the winter, that's a lot of business opportunity for the full service. The difference between full and self is moot with respect to propane, since all propane sales are "full service."

Incorrect, again.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Not only am I correct, I explained my position and why I am correct. Unfortunately for you, blindly claiming something is incorrect does not make it so.
On May 23, 7:39pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

re: Try to find one that charges you by the unit instead of a flat rate.
I'm not sure how they do it these days, but I stopped going to my local U-Haul *because* they switched to charging by the unit.
I never top off my tanks. I have a spare "20 pounder" and always go for a full fill or an exchange. I used to go to a local U-Haul 'cuz they had the best price for a full fill. Then one day I went in and they told me they were no longer allowed to charge me for a full tank unless they actually dispensed a full tank. I had to go in, wait for an attendant to become available, get the tank filled and then go back in and wait for a cashier to ring up the exact amount that was dispensed. No more pre-pay, fill-up and I'm on my way.
It only took 1 time of having to wait until someone when through all the crap you have to go through to rent a truck before I could "order" my propane, then wait for some other employee to become available to fill it, then go back in and wait until someone else when through all the crap you have to go through to rent a truck before I could pay for my full tank, for me say "no-way, the hassle is not worth the lower price."

[...]
*******************
Be careful on letting tanks go completely empty. They'res some charge for "purging" them.
Steve

I've never been charged *once* in the decades of letting my tanks run empty - assuming that when my grill flame goes out, the tank is empty.

I've never been charged *once* in the decades of letting my tanks run empty - assuming that when my grill flame goes out, the tank is empty.
Only time a tank has to be purged is when new and filled the first time. They never have negative pressure so no air is sucked back in. I've heard of charging for a purge, but no one ever has on any tank I've bought over the years.
On Sun 24 May 2009 09:02:02p, Ed Pawlowski told us...

I've only had to have new tanks purged, and have never been charged for the purging.
--
Wayne Boatwright
wrote in message

with consumer news very well. This change in fill was instituted last year.
On Sun, 24 May 2009 20:45:33 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Ther only time the tank needs to be purged is when it has been filled with something other than propane. New tanks have been filled with air for pressure testing.
I've never been charged *once* in the decades of letting my tanks run empty - assuming that when my grill flame goes out, the tank is empty.
*********
I have never been charged, either, but have been reminded several times not to let it go completely dry, or they have to do something special.
Steve

I'd sure like to know what you've been told 'cuz as I've said, for decades I've been running mine until the grill flames die, and no one - not BJ's, U-Haul, the local rent-all places or anyone else that fills propane tanks has ever said anything to me.
wrote

I'd sure like to know what you've been told 'cuz as I've said, for decades I've been running mine until the grill flames die, and no one - not BJ's, U-Haul, the local rent-all places or anyone else that fills propane tanks has ever said anything to me.
******
Okay. It went something like this:
If you bring in a tank that has absolutely no pressure, that means we have to purge the air out because it may have some humidity in there. We're not going to charge you this time, so please at least be sure to close the valve. Maybe they were fussing because I brought in a tank with an open valve.
You speak as if just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it hasn't happened to someone somewhere. I've had heart surgery and broke my back. Has that happened to you? If it hasn't, is that grounds for you to say that it never happens to anyone?
Steve
wrote

Just because a tank runs out of propane does not mean air has entered the tank.It just means the internal pressure(of propane) equals outside air pressure. The tank would have to have a lower pressure inside for air to enter. That aint gonna happen.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Agree 100% and it will usually be pretty cold when it dies so as it warms up it will still be out gassing. I do try to get the valve closed as soon as possible tho, because it can breathe in some air if it heats and cools a few times with the valve open. As long as the guy filling the tank cracks the bleed screw there is no reason for a purge anyway, even on a new tank.. I just believe that practice is illegal anywhere that they have strict air quality laws (like, do you have the rubber vapor recovery sock on your gas pumps?) Some places do, others don't care.