Propane generator for blackouts?

I've never seen an x86 machine that won't boot into 6.22 happily. I use a 6.22 utility disk (on 3.5 floppy) to scrub used machines before I reload them. Never played with the multiple-core unobtainium processors- mebbe that is what you are talking about. Chained under my desk at work, I have a now-considered-old Dell c640 laptop (that has fallen off the inventory records somehow), that I use to program radios. The radio service software won't run under any flavor of windows. All the hard drive has on it is 6.22 and the Motorola software. They kept trying to dispose of it on me, and I kept explaining I needed it to keep THEIR old walkie-talkies running. Finally they stopped asking about it, and on the dump from the next wall-to-wall inventory, I noticed it wasn't there any more. I'm not gonna ask questions. They can figure it out after I retire.

And I've still got stacks of beige around here, including the machine I'm typing this on, a 2ghz p4 frankenstein made up out of dumpster parts and the cheapest tower case NewEgg had 5-6 years ago.

Reply to
aemeijers
[snip]

My newest PC (CPU is "AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 435" triple core) will boot and run DOS OK.

[snip]

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

It's not that it won't boot, it the application software. The timing is all off without screwing with the clock speeds, etc. My service laptop is a Dell Latitude C600 because it has a real serial port for router and telephone systems programing. I was programing Motorola hand held radios back in the late 80's when I worked for a contractor at a missile range, it was a pain to get a copy of the software but I managed it. It's probably the same software you have because unlike consumer crap, those old Motorola walkie talkies are darn near indestructible which is why there are a lot of 30 year old radios hanging off belts of law enforcement and construction personnel. I tried looking up those old Motorola radios but I don't remember the model numbers. We used the mobiles in the trucks that needed the same software if I remember to program them. Too much to try to remember, it makes my head hurt. 8-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

My 3ghz dual core Intel will boot and run DOS also but it wont run some of the old applications like certain POS software and games. There are differences between the bus architecture and timing for the ISA/XT, ISA/AT, AGP, PCI, PCI-X, etc, etc. To repeat a cliche, I've been there done that. Many folks out there are running old DOS programs because the software just works and does what it's supposed to do. Heck, if I remember correctly, at one time most of the anytime teller machines were running OS2. I don't know about now because a while back I read about some other company taking over development of the software and renaming it.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

There's a lot to be said for "it just works." In fact, the vast majority of modems in use today operate at 2400 Baud (think ATMs).

Reply to
HeyBub

Some years back, I installed a number of backup generators in homes and I obtained circuit boards for DSC alarm control panels which I mounted inside the transfer switches. The use of simple tried and true alarm communications protocols over a POTS line was a very reliable way to monitor the generators. Years later, they're still working and it's considered old technology.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

'Cuz they only need to pass short data bursts, rather than gooey GUI screen images? (I know some ATMs have pictures now, but not in this part of the country yet. And those can be locally generated in the PC inside all modern ATMs anyway.)

Reply to
aemeijers

That's why anyone with a digital phone on their landline should also have a phone around which doesn't require electricity which they can plug in.

Reply to
Jonathan Grobe

I think he's talking about a cable phone. It's sort of a landline, meaning it isn't a cell phone, but when the power goes out, the cable modem goes out and thus the phone goes out. I have one and that's the deal. Even having an old wired phone won't help.

I guess the cable is independent of the power though and if you can power the modem, the phone (and TV and Internet!) should work.

Assuming I get my generator, I assume that I'll be able to power the modem.

Reply to
dgk

There are many people who have "cordless" and other phones which require electricity. People with fancy ass phones would benefit to have a simple phone for power cuts.

In this case, the phone signal is proved by the cable TV and internet company. When the power goes off, the cable TV and internet and phone system goes dead. A simple phone, sadly, would not help these people. (I'm not sure much would help them!)

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yes, about the cable phone.

I'm not sure if there is signal in the coax, when the power goes out. There may be cable substations and all, which need power. I just don't know.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The line amplifiers require public power to operate and the back up battery duration is often quite limited. During one prolonged power outage here the cable company was placing loud, construction type, generators on their maintenance platforms to maintain service. With power out to all the homes the noise was deafening. After some of the affected people started just shoving the generators off of the platforms to fall to the street in order to shut them up the cable company smartened up and started using Honda and Yamaha inverter generators that people could tolerate when they had to sleep with the windows open. Their newer line amplifiers now come with larger battery compartments so maybe now they can run all night without a generator to supply them.

-- Tom Horne

Reply to
Tom Horne