Indoor backup generator

A friend of mine called, today. He would like to have a natural gas generator, for power cuts. Due to crime, he'd like the generator in the cellar.

Said generator should run: Upright freezer Side by side refrigerator some lights computer (he works at home, online) furnace / winter One or two window AC / summer.

The natural gas hookup won't be dificult. He's got an electrician to do the power cable hook up. I've never heard of a generator in the cellar. I can envision noise, heat, and having to pipe the exhaust out. Combustion air isn't a big deal, the house is drafty.

What do we need to know, to make this project go along?

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Name and contact point of next of kin. Gen set in the basement is risky even with proper ventaltion.

Reply to
NotMe

I've installed and serviced cellar/basement generators. You need what's called a critical grade muffler. flexible connecting pipe and a good location for the pipe to go through the wall to the outside. The generator's own cooling fan can be used for exhausting air from the basement but an extra vent fan running off generator power in a good idea. Plenty of ventilation with automatic shutters is prudent as is a carbon monoxide detector. A sheet metal shop can build the exhaust duct along with flexible couplings for the genset cooling air. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I've seen them advertized on tv and always wondered the actual cost. I wonder if you install in a basement, if you need to ever worry about water in basement?

Reply to
Doug

His cellar is humid, and damp. So, I was thinking that any metal exhaust piping would probably rust out. The generator would come on, and kill everyone in the building.

.

Name and contact point of next of kin. Gen set in the basement is risky even with proper ventaltion.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My couple of concerns, were the exhaust piping. And, also what to do with the motor heat. In the winter time, the heat would be used to help warm the house. Summer, it needs to be piped out.

I'm thinking more and more, that a whole house generator in the cellar is a bad idea.

.

I've installed and serviced cellar/basement generators. You need what's called a critical grade muffler. flexible connecting pipe and a good location for the pipe to go through the wall to the outside. The generator's own cooling fan can be used for exhausting air from the basement but an extra vent fan running off generator power in a good idea. Plenty of ventilation with automatic shutters is prudent as is a carbon monoxide detector. A sheet metal shop can build the exhaust duct along with flexible couplings for the genset cooling air. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Usually, folks are more concerned with exhaust fumes than heat recovery but if you're familiar with commercial kitchen hoods then you understand make up air and the balancing act it takes for an efficient heat/cool saving hood system. The same principles can be applied to basement gensets. The exhaust needs to be piped in such a way that the fumes don't come back into the structure. It can be piped outside so the velocity of the exhaust carries it away or run up over the roof and fitted with an appropriate means to keep rain and critters out of the pipe. I have used exhaust flappers for such a purpose. If you're concerned with generator thieves, I once had a custom dog house built to camouflage a big Kohler genset for a customer. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I would start with a visit to the local code office. And also a visit to the generator manufacturer websites for info to find out which models may be rated for use indoors and see what their install instructions say.

Reply to
trader4

You need to know if your local codes permit it. Where I live, all natural gas piping and/or appliance installations need a county inspection green tag before it is legal to use.

Reply to
Peter

Will the local AHD approve a cellar install in a residential dwelling?

Will the insurance company drop your friend's HO policy when they find out?

Will the > A friend of mine called, today. He would like to have a natural gas

Reply to
Brock O'Bama

Peter wrote in news:jvlqbp$5rj$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net:

some folks have been mounting their outside AC units on a garage roof or

2nd floor patio to avoid theft of the copper,perhaps you could do something similar with your generator? you'd need a long chimney to keep the exhaust from leaking back indoors and killing you.
Reply to
Jim Yanik

O'Bama Care will cover everything, you will never have to worry about paying for anything again. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

You won't even have to pay your mortgage or buy gas for your car. Of course, you won't be able to.

Reply to
krw

I love that YouTube video. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I'd also wondered about roof top install. Would be less theft prone. Also a PIA to do oil changes, etc.

No more exhaust piping needed, compared to a unit beside the house.

.

some folks have been mounting their outside AC units on a garage roof or

2nd floor patio to avoid theft of the copper,perhaps you could do something similar with your generator? you'd need a long chimney to keep the exhaust from leaking back indoors and killing you.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

there are companies that sell natural gas capable fuel cell stacks. eliminates virtually all of your concern, plus you get clean water as a side benefit. might be somewhat more costly, but not having to deal with as much bureaucracy or plumbing/venting issues might make up for it.

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

I know a number of units put in basements/below ground level. Mostly along a line south of I10 in Louisiana and MS. 100% flooded with salt water.

Ours (in the same area) were 20 ft above high tide line and well enclosed. No problem expect when they ran out of fuel.

Reply to
NotMe