Multi-function tool victory

I posted earlier questioning how to cut cabinets cleanly for a dishwasher. As A trial project, I took a 36" cabinet I had removed to install a slide in 30" stove in place of a countertop burner and modified it into a 6" cabinet to fill the gap next to the stove. Using the harbor freight multi-function tool with the half round blade and a 2x2 as a guide, I easily cut the cabinet front without any chips in the finish edge. Again, using the tool, I cut corners out of the remaining front,bottom and back pieces to duplicate the notching of the origional cabinet so I could glue and nail the removed side onto the remaining cabinet. The tool doesn't cut fast, but it is easily controlled for accurate cuts.

I am glad I bought that tool.

Reply to
Bob F

"Bob F" wrote in news:i85nc7$alh$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Oh boy! HF multi-function tool. My favorite tool :-)

Red Green

They also have a LiIon powered, variable-speed version. It was on sale for $40 a few weeks ago. I'd just made the 60mi trip the weekend before, so missed it. I have the Dremel version, but would have added the HF cordless version to my collection (I originally wanted the Bosch, but no one had it when I needed one).

Amazing how fast companies jumped on the thing after the patent ran out.

Reply to
krw

Unfortunately, these small mfg companies don't have the $$$ power of big conglomerates like the record and pharmaceutical companies which can bribe slimey pols into changing laws so exclusivity laws extend to near perpetuity. Last I heard, the copyright on a song was 75 yrs ...AFTER the author dies! Bet Fein wishes they had that kinda clout.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Yes, if they do it for money and don't pay royalties.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Fein's price is based on their patent, which ran out a couple of years ago (hence all the knock-offs). Fein still has the name. I certainly wouldn't buy one.

Like I said, I have the Dremel version. In fact I just used it today. It's been great, though I'd still rather have the Bosch.

Reply to
krw

Smitty Two wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

I believe he said RECORDED music,not live music. they get their recorded music from a provider,who pays the royalties and adds that to the cost of the service.

(just like how the sports bars pay royalties for the satellite TV programs they show in their bars;the provider pays the fee and adds it to the charge for service.No business can put up a satellite dish and get away with home service fees,they have to pay so much per seat in the business.)

although if the band belongs to a union(doubtful),they may pay royalty fees. the band may pay some fee through purchases of sheet music.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I don't use the multi-X enough for the vibration to matter. The reason I don't like cheap sabre saws isn't vibration, rather I like to cut straight lines. My old Crapsman can't. The Bosch does.

Cordless and my Impactor and drill batteries (6) fit.

Reply to
krw

If you're paying for MUSAK, or some such, yes. Otherwise, no. You have to pay them directly, even for playing the radio.

Yep.

If they pay royalties, doubtful, that doesn't relieve the venue from their fees. BMI and ASCAP want it all.

Reply to
krw

Chuckle. BTDT. I too grew up with cheap jigsaws that numbed my hand and wandered all over the place. About 7-8 years ago, I visited my sister and BIL, and one day when they were out running errands, I thought I would surprise them and replace a missing piece of trim around the side light on the front door. I found a piece of wood the right thickness, but too wide. Since it was only about six-eight inches to cut, I figured a jigsaw would work, rather than a real saw. Dug out his Bosch, and was simply amazed at how smooth and accurate it was. Almost looked like a factory edge-I barely had to sand it. I'll never use a toy jigsaw again. Bosch is still too rich for my blood, since I don't make money with tools any more, but I did splurge on a Makita that feels almost as good at half the price.

Reply to
aemeijers

None of the above. The bar pays a flat fee.

Reply to
salty

Bosch is pricey, but I don't buy cheap power tools anymore. I've had to replace them too many times. I am a tool freak, so $150 for a sabre saw is no big deal. My plan is to retire in a half-dozen, or so, years and do some serious woodworking. I have the money now, and very few other expenses, so buy what I want.

Reply to
krw

I don't know how you can go wrong with Bosch.

I need to stretch my money though and have been buying Ryobi, particularly the cordless tools. No complaints on the cordless jigsaw it has great low speed performance. The 5" cordless skillsaw is great, so is the 1/2" drill and sawzall.

Sometimes you can just look at the attention to finish and detail to see how well a tool is made. Bosch doesn't skimp.

I'm not in the Bosch league (except for blades and such), but I am so done with B&D. Buying cheap tools is a waste of money. I'll see how I feel about Ryobi in a few years.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

Some of Ryobi's stuff is OK. They have a noise canceling headset that I'm considering and their battery warranty is excellent. OTOH, I have one of their circular saws, that while it's far better than the Crapsman it replaced, is still pretty weak. The DeWalt rear pivot saw that replaced it is far superior (and the Festool is in a whole 'nuther category).

I have a few of their tools (12V Impactor, with matching drill and driver, sabre saw, hammer drill, and pony router, and just in the last couple of weeks, a 12" SCMS). Dust collection on the miter saw seems to be pretty weak, but I'm not sure I have everything right on it yet. Still have to read the instructions. ;-)

About 20 years ago I decided that if I couldn't afford the tools I wanted would wait until I could. Crappy tools are just too painful to use (expensive tools only hurt once). Every major project I did around the house was a justification for another major tool. Since I was doing the work it was an easy justification. I'm at the point in my life where "I want" and "have a place to put" is enough justification. ;-)

Reply to
krw

In '04 I bought a five piece Bosch 18V kit in a canvas bag, because the wife kicked me off the couch.

I paid about $299.00, plus tax for all five pieces.

Short time later I priced just the separate cost of the BOSCH BRUTE Tough Hammer drill from the kit. Alone it was $269. I never priced out the jig saw, but of all the tools they are still my favorites.

The drill, I've dropped numerous times from a ladder, hit one man in the head after he walked under my ladder work area - still works perfect.

The jig saw has cut plenty of wood flooring needs in numerous houses and still works great. The best tools in the kit. Two '04 batteries are dead, but the '07 is working still.

Reply to
Oren