Problem with washing machine

Page 1 of 2
Don't post much but I do enjoy reading daily. Thanks in advance for your help!
Admiral Mega 22 Plus Heavy Duty 2 speed Model: LATA200AAE 12 years old. Never had a problem at all.
Gentle cycle and Permanent Press cycle both work fine.
Normal Wash has 4 sections:
    Wash     Spin     Rinse     Spin -- doesn’t work; the washer remains full of water from the rinse cycle and the knob moves, but the washer does nothing.
I’m thinking it needs a new timer. What say ye? Anything else I need to consider and check before I buy a new timer?
Add pictures here
βœ–

WashSpinRinseSpin -- doesn’t work; the washer remains full of water from the rinse cycle and the knob moves, but the washer does nothing. I’m thinking it needs a new timer. What say ye? <<
our OLD washer had 4 cycles too..over time the various functions began to fail, one by one til only had the Gentle cycle would work all the way thru. I called a local appliance repair place and they said 'replacement' was the answer. I took the old one out and it had probably 20-30 sets of contact "points" in there.. Now if I wanted to take a "points file"... (Does anyone here even know/remember what points or a points file is ?) It cost somewhere around $ 90.00 IIRC.. Put it in and everything worked fine after that for the next 5 years til we sold the house.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I have a point file.

That's an awful lot for a point file. I'll sell you mine for 45, shipping included.

Good to know.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Test the lid switch first. A bad lid switch will prevent spin.
Wait, did you say it goes through the first spin after wash? Then maybe you're right, timer.

Add pictures here
βœ–

Yeah. It does the first spin but doesn't do the 2nd one. Is there even anything else it could be??
Thanks for the help.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Yeah. It does the first spin but doesn't do the 2nd one. Is there even anything else it could be??
**************************************************************88
If it is a mechanical timer, take it out, and clean the contacts with a fine fingernail file or sander.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Thanks to all for your help. If ya think of anything else please let me know.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Thanks to all for your help. If ya think of anything else please let me know.
**********************************************************************8
Just jiggleing the connector on the timer has solved problems for me in the past, also.
Add pictures here
βœ–

If you are going to clean the contacts use something like a fresh dollar bill soaked in isopropyl alcohol pressured between the contacts.
Add pictures here
βœ–
My old whirlpool used to get jammed in the rinse cycle. The answer for me was to clean the motor and all the moving parts with brake cleaner. And re-oil it all.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 22:18:12 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

If it's a mechanical timer, if it does the first spin, the contracts are most likely ok. There's very likely only one set of spin contacts, but several cams that close them. Maybe you can figure out something when you have a good look at the timer.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 22:18:12 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

BTW, do you have a second spin in the other cycles? I know sta-press has two on a whirlpool.
I doubt there is any difference between the first spin and the second, except a different cam to move the contracts. I don't know what the cams look like on your machine (and it's been close to 30 years since I saw them on a machine like mine.)
P&M
Add pictures here
βœ–
This may sound stupid, but are you sure you don't have an out of balance load? If so, the machine will go into "tilt" mode and stop spinning and stop pumping, but the timer will keep running. You come down to the machine thinking that it's completed the cycle because the timer is off and find a tub full of water.
Either remove the clothes or rebalance the load and try it again.
Add pictures here
βœ–
I was thinking the lid safety switch.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Had a similar problem on an Admiral/Maytag. Get a new timer.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Did that help the machine to run?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Haven't had a chance to check it out yet. Life always seems to get in the way : )
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Jul 1, 5:59 pm, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

Bit of an update. As we ran it this evening we can hear the timer and it seemed to click right through the second spin cycle but never activated it. Not sure where to go from here. Still could be the dirty contact points I guess.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Jun 30, 2:53 pm, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote: .

Talk to the gurus at repairclinic.com for advice and parts. Their web site is very good for general info, too. Good luck.
Joe
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote in

Bad transmisson Time for a new washing machine.
Add pictures here
βœ–