Problem with Lennox gas spark ignitor

When my Lennox gas furnace calls for heat the pilot valve open and the spark ignitor lights the pilot. The ignitor keeps sparking as much as a hundred times. Finally the main gas valve opens and produces the heating flame. The furnace works ok, but I don't think this is normal.

Any suggestions please?

Thank you.

Russ

Reply to
RusPC

This is Turtle.

You have a extended spark timer sticking a little. It's not worth getting it changed now but will go for years before it really screws up. It does not hurt a thing to run it like that.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Not to be rude, but a ck up and full cleaning are a good thing

Reply to
m Ransley

Thanks to those who replied.

I took a look inside the furnace and noticed the heat sensor in the pilot flame. Also noted that the pilot lit on the first spark I took some fine sandpaper and cleaned it. Wallah!! 3 clicks, a pause, and the main valve opened to provide full heat. The Internet and Google were also a help.

Russ

Reply to
RusPC

RusPC;

The natural gas supplied to the Western US has a high degree of sulfur which is corrosive. (Generally natural gas from Oklahoma) It eventually attacks a coating on the flame sensor that protects it. Sanding the sensor does the trick for awhile, but you should replace the sensor. You have removed the protective coating completely. Believe me, they don't cost much and are easy to replace. You could call your local HVAC repair man and he can replace it, while there check the whole system over for minor problems. A penny spent can be a pound of cure.

Reply to
Zypher

This is Turtle.

Zypher is right about the flame sencer having trouble after you sand them to get it going. I don't know about the coating but I was told they are very smooth and sulpher, carbon, or burning by-products will catch on the ruff finish of the rod and have a faster build up to coat it and start the same problem all over again. Now to price, i'm not much on talking price but usely when I do a repair of the gas valves or to the furnace i will throw in a free flame sencer in the repairs if the bill runs over $150.00 or so. I buy them by the dozen on different brands.

I would change it out for a new smooth one to prevent trouble down the road. It would not hurt a thing to have the furnace cleaned and serviced by a hvac service company.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE