Wardrobe cutout

I have a wardrobe with one of those square template cutouts for a TV. I assume I should cut this out to fit the back of the TV through it. If so, is there a technique to cutting it so I can replace it again if needed? Or do I just get a saw blade and cut through the obvious little pieces?

I know this has to be a simple question but I really wanted to make sure before I cut out the back of a beautiful wardrobe we have. I've made mistakes before by assuming the 'obvious' answer.

Thanks.

Paul

Reply to
D'Olier

I didn't want to cut my wardrobe back out, so I installed an adjustable table that slides out and swivels. I can't close the door but I don't want to hide my $2500 HDTV anyway. It looks great!

But No, there is no need to save the material as it would look like crap if you tried to replace it. Just drill the 4 holes for the corners and then mark and saw. In the future, you can repair the hole with a piece of expensive veneer paneling that covers the whole area.

Reply to
PJX

Paul:

D > I have a wardrobe with one of those square template cutouts for a TV. I D > assume I should cut this out to fit the back of the TV through it. If so, D > is there a technique to cutting it so I can replace it again if needed? Or D > do I just get a saw blade and cut through the obvious little pieces? D > D > I know this has to be a simple question but I really wanted to make sure D > before I cut out the back of a beautiful wardrobe we have. I've made D > mistakes before by assuming the 'obvious' answer.

You need to maintain part of the back panel for stability. Removing large portions of the panel will allow the unit to laterally flex. If there is a lot of weight at the top you will need to maintain more of the back panel.

You should be able to cut the back panel where the manufacturer has indicated without problem. I generally have used a sharp knife. So far have only needed to restore the back on one unit. We took the old back off and replaced it with a piece of inexpensive panelling cut to fit, drilling holes for the brads.

  • Forrest on phonics Lief es lyk a boks uv chakolets
Reply to
barry martin