Another Water Softener/Treament Question?

I've been reading this group on this topic for several weeks now. As a result I still have TWO questions that I am sure some of you can answer:

1) Most systems use salt in the brine tank. Someone recommended using potassium. Is this possible?

2) During regeneration can the backflush effluent be drained into a septic tank?

Thanks all.

Bob_M

yes, but I think the dosage needs to be adjusted

it can, but is not really recommended.

check out

for more info. Gary is very helpful and can answer all your questions. I'm a very satisified customer of his.

Reply to
J Kelly

Typically you would not want to add salt to your tank. However, the concentrations contained in your backflush are very small. A recent project that I'm working on has a school that discharges 700 gallons into an extended aeration treatment plant. The relatively low sodium chloride content in the backflush will not adversly effect the biological activity. The bugs will become accustomed to it. Your system is different but I'm betting that most homeowners with water softeners and septic systems do not even consider it.

Chip

Reply to
Chip